Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to take apart and put back together a steering knuckle: A picture tutorial.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can somebody make this a Sticky? This will eventually be needed for most of the Festivas out there (face it, they are getting old with lots of miles)

Comment

Oh crud! I forgot all about this! You will have to organize these yourself according to page number, but here are the scans from the manual.

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!
      Last edited by scitzz; 05-26-2011, 02:38 AM.
      Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
      Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
      "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

I used this trick while R&R my rotors. Worked like a charm, thanks!

I used a 3 jaw puller, which complicated things a bit (not many places to place the jaws).

Comment

[QUOTE=scitzz;398913]Just for S&G's, I took one apart and put it back together, after rebuilding mine, and thinking "I should have taken some pics of that!"

I put a "new" to it rotor on that knuckle while I was at it. It really is pretty quick and easy. If you don't know how to do the bearings, I don't know what to tell you, except don't lose the spacer!

The Rotunda kit supplies everything you need for this job, except the press. My idea was to find a way to do this without a press.

scitzz, the press is in that Rotunda tool kit. I can even see a partial view of it in your 7th pic. It's labeled "Steering Knuckle Puller" on the cover.Its used in conjunction with the things that you mentioned to grab something like this Look at page 11-16-7 thats the critter-
          Last edited by nitrofarm; 09-09-2011, 10:05 AM.
          Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
          Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
          Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

[quote=nitrofarm;449562]
            Originally posted by scitzz View Post
            Just for S&G's, I took one apart and put it back together, after rebuilding mine, and thinking "I should have taken some pics of that!"

I put a "new" to it rotor on that knuckle while I was at it. It really is pretty quick and easy. If you don't know how to do the bearings, I don't know what to tell you, except don't lose the spacer!

The Rotunda kit supplies everything you need for this job, except the press. My idea was to find a way to do this without a press.

scitzz, the press is in that Rotunda tool kit. I can even see a partial view of it in your 7th pic. It's labeled "Steering Knuckle Puller" on the cover.Its used in conjunction with the things that you mentioned to grab something like this Look at page 11-16-7 thats the critter-
            Just saw this. I know that was in there, I was showing a way for people WITHOUT the Rotunda kit how to do the job!

Comment

I usually use the pullers with air guns instead of the press because
              its faster. The big and small separators and bushing drivers are
              something you will wonder how you got along without once you have them!
              Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

[QUOTE=scitzz;498437]
                Originally posted by nitrofarm View Post

Just saw this. I know that was in there, I was showing a way for people WITHOUT the Rotunda kit how to do the job!
                But your using the bushing drivers from the tool kit.
                Sooooo your showing people how to do the job without the Rotunda Tool Kit. But using the drivers from the Rotunda tool kit.... Ok,got it.
                Last edited by nitrofarm; 03-15-2012, 04:37 PM.
                Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
                Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
                Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

[quote=nitrofarm;498576]
                  Originally posted by scitzz View Post

But your using the bushing drivers from the tool kit.
                  Sooooo your showing people how to do the job without the Rotunda Tool Kit. But using the drivers from the Rotunda tool kit.... Ok,got it.
                  Nope. I show the ones from the kits, and use measurements, and link to bearing race drivers that should be able to substitute for it. Sorry if that wasn't clear....

>>>
                  You can probably use things from a set similar to this:

http://www.harborfreight.com/10-piec...set-95853.html
                  <<<

I am also not sure if this was before or after I found the threads on the puller were stripped, but Motoexpress repaired them for me when he borrowed my kit.

I promise, I use the puller when doing it normally....

Comment

Working...
                  X