need help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need help

have a 92 festiva stock with 5 speed,bought this with wrong battery in it positive terminal shorted out on body put the right battery,new fuseable links in. car will startbut when i let clutch out or turn lights on car shuts off also netural safty switch is disconected. car ran great before battery shorted thanks for any sugestions to fix

Test all your fuses. I fried a bunch of mine when I jumped a few connectors to see where they went.

Comment

Never had this happen to me, but I would start by making sure all the connections from the battery through the fusible links are clean, tight, and bright.

Next I would check the charging voltage provided to the battery by the alternator when the engine is running. I should be between 14.1 and 14.7 volts measured between the positive and negative posts of the battery.

After that I would maybe spray some starting fluid into the plenum of the engine where the brake booster vacuum hose attaches (replacing hose before restarting the engine) to see if that affected the running/starting of the engine. Just to establish whether the damage done was to the fuel delivery system or not. If that has no effect, I would go through the ignition system piece by piece, from the spark plugs through the coil, in that order, to find the problem.

Good luck.

John Gunn
      Coronado, CA
      John Gunn
      Coronado, CA

Improving anything
      Improves everything. Copyright 2011 John Gunn

Comment

finally got time to work on it, been working 12 hr. days. replaced 3 main fuses, flasher,netural safty switch. main problem was tracted down to shorted out head light bulb.back on the road again thanks for all sugestions to fix

Comment

Working...
        X