No announcement yet.

27mpg 93Festy :( Whats wrong?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

^ If you had the fuel lines mixed up at the fuel rail, it wouldn't even start up.
    '90 LX

Comment

Alright thanks thats what I was looking for. So its obviously not that. Wow I really dont know what else could be causing this. I just advanced my timing so Ill see what that does after a few days.

Comment

hey there dank, what year car do you have? is it EFI? if so, testing like you have will destroy your pump.... over heats it by not having any fuel to cool it except the fuel running through it and that's not enough especially when it runs out.
        Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
        94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Yeah its a 1993 L. Efi. I dont run it until it doesnt move anymore. At the first sign of no fuel, which would be stalling out slightly and decreased power, I turn the engine off and coast to the side of the road or pull in a driveway, refuel n take off. Could this really be hurting it that bad?

Comment

Its more just needless! If you have enough money to put in a couple gallons at a time..........Just fill the poor car up! It only holds 10 Gallons max!

Comment

you really dont have 35 bucks to fill your tank?

Really....?
              -M3NTAL MARK! Woo!!

Comment

sell some dank buds

and stop gettin high on your own supply ahahaha
                -M3NTAL MARK! Woo!!

Comment

That is NOT an effective way to calculate mileage at all.

And you're just roasting your fuel pump.
                  91GL BP/F3A with boost
                  13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

Hey guys new festiva owner here. I have had mine about 2 weeks and am getting that same crappy mileage. 28-29 somewhere in there. Its a '93 GL EFI. I was having trouble with it not wanting to start when warm and to get it to start I would have to hold it wide open and it would try and fire a bunch of times and then finally it would start but would barely run and then it would finally clean out with a big puff of exhaust. I changed the ignition control module and the coolant temp sensor and that seems to have solved the not starting when warm issue and my check engine light is also not coming on anymore. My question is will this likely fix my mileage problem too as from what my Haynes book shows that sensor was probably making the emissions system not work right.
                    1993 Festiva GL The Besty Festy

Comment

Originally posted by DankBuds420 View Post
                      Yeah its a 1993 L. Efi. I dont run it until it doesnt move anymore. At the first sign of no fuel, which would be stalling out slightly and decreased power, I turn the engine off and coast to the side of the road or pull in a driveway, refuel n take off. Could this really be hurting it that bad?
                      YES, it's that bad! the fuel is the pump's coolent: no coolent, no pump, NO GO.
                      Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                      94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

OP does not give location. Fuel economy drops radically in winter in northern climate from things like cold engine and poor traction. A block heater should help. From November to April I try to plug the heater in for 2 hrs before starting the engine, although even 15 min helps. Some people on this site have been covering the radiator with cardboard in winter.

You could try adding something to the fuel to clean the carbon out of the engine. Also try recalculating fuel effeciency when the weather warms up.
                        Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Just read more of the thread. Minnesota drivers get lower fuel economy in winter.
                          I calculate fuel economy by recording milage, gas, and money every time I buy gasoline, then add up toal gas conumed over one year or one season and divide by miles driven. It's been pretty consistent over the almost 22 years I've driven the car. Worse in winter, better in summer.
                          Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Alright well I wont run it dry anymore, I figured since there was a little gas in there it was enough. And right now I dont have enough money to fill it up. Im getting paid this Friday but other things get in the way of filling up my tank. I could be putting 5-20 bucks in but I was just trying to get some consistent mpg numbers. And I do sell plenty of dank buds but Im getting fronted by my guy and I smoke for free, basically a quad every few days. I guess I could stop smoking and make 130 bucks every few days instead but it helps me more than the extra money would.
                            So basically the people that are trying to help me, thanks I really appreciate it.
                            I do have a plug in coming from my engine, obviously the block heater. So maybe Ill try that over night or a few hours before I start my car. Its been about 5-20 degrees here in the last week or so, which has been the only time Ive been able to drive my car. So I guess it could be, cold weather, some kind of coolant temp issue, maybe exhaust leaking?, all that adds up to a loss of about 10-13 mpg...maybe.

Comment

Lol...what a winner.
                              91GL BP/F3A with boost
                              13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

And you're helping me how??

Comment

Working...
                                X