Need location of vacuum port for a/t hose

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need location of vacuum port for a/t hose

Finishing up the the swap of the auto trans out of the '90L-plus into the '88LX. I've done a few auto to manual swaps, and its no big deal to just cap the leftover vacuum port that used to goto the trans. However, this is the first manual to auto swap that I've done and I can't find any unused vacuum ports on the carb to attach the trans vac hose. To top it off its from an EFI car going into a carbed car so I can't just compare where the old line went to on the intake of the new motor. Anyone know off-hand or happen to have a picture (bonus points!) of where the vac line for the auto goes into the carb. I'm fine with having to tap a port into it if there's not one, but I'd like to do it as near stock location as possible. Thanks in advance!

P.S. If this isn't the correct forum I apologize... I though about putting it in the custom engine/drivetrain or the swap section but decided against it since everything is factory festiva, not motors/trans out of other cars.
    Last edited by htchbck; 03-14-2011, 07:07 PM.
    No festiva for me ATM...

There were no Festivas that were ATX Carburated. Even the 89 (first year for ATX) did not come as carb. I have 88&9 carb cars, an 89 ATX with the one year only FI, and a 90 ATX. I have an ATX, and carb car here at the shop all the time, and would be glad to help you decide on a vacuum line to try if you like. I would guess you are talking about the vac line that is stepped down in size from the intake plenum on the FI intake(rubber hose), that connects to the hard line running down the front of the ATX, right in front of the cooling fan on the radiator? I can take pictures of any of the three types if it will help.

Michael
    Have owned 9 so far
    White 89 L converted to LX "The Curmudgeon" Being a Curmudgeon right now.
    Blue 89 L converted to LX "Shtinky" FMS crate engine,cam,flywheel,hail dents
    Smurf Blue 90 LX "Smurffy" He Ran Away From Home!!!!!! Says Willie loves him more than I did!
    Red 88 L converted to LX "Rasta, Mon" Now retired
    Where did all these @#*&%$ Toyotas come from around here?

Comment

Would these help any. This is off my 90 ATX
      Have owned 9 so far
      Smurf Blue 90 LX "Smurffy" He Ran Away From Home!!!!!! Says Willie loves him more than I did!

Comment

Thanks for the input, I have the whole line all the way to where it goes into the EFI intake. All I need to decide is where to tap the line into the carb since there don't seem to be any spare vacuum ports on the carb. I didn't know that the '88 never had an auto, I have seen an ATX '88LX in the yard before, but I suppose someone did the same thing I'm attempting now. That was a couple of years ago, lol, wish I could go back and see where they ran the vac line too Oh well, I'll get it sorted out on my own lol, not too much info on manual-to-auto swaps since most people don't want to go that route :lol:
        Last edited by htchbck; 03-15-2011, 07:41 PM.
        No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

Since the hard line is such small diameter, and the carb manifold has many connections, I would think that any of the base plate lines would supply a steady amount of vacuum for what you need myself. I just hope you can get a steady enough idle for your stall speed on the converter so it isn't jumpy sitting at a light.
          Just my two cents for FWIW

Michael
          Have owned 9 so far

Comment

Thanks, the idle was rock steady at 700 before I pulled the engine (as per external tach, I don't trust dash tachs, though it read pretty consistent with the external one). Hopefully I can adjust it up a little for the auto once everything is put back together. Didn't know I was attempting a swap that was never even available from the factory though (a/t+carb). Lol, well, its not the first time, won't be the last
            No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

Who knows.. it may work out VERY well. I do know that those JATCO ATX's sure are tough! My carbs are getting pretty iffy on this newest round of "ethanol enrichment". I had to bump my idle up on the carbs to get it steady in cold weather especially. The idle step up doesn't keep up like it used to IMO.
              Have owned 9 so far

Comment

According to the PO this carb was recently rebuilt, and comparing it to the other '88LX I had I'm inclined to agree that this was probably the case. Idles much more consistently and picks up very smoothly. I was planning on ditching it and throwing on a weber as part of the initial build, but since its the wife's car and she's not too concerned about the underhood appearance or power, it will stay factory at least until the stock carb starts causing problems.
                No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

My guess is the carburettor had to be replaced with fuel injection before the automatic transmission could be used in order to meet emission standards and that is why they came out together part way though 1989.
                  Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Makes sense... oh well as long as I can get the auto working in the carb car my wife will be happy, because its in much nicer shape than the EFI one we have. Plus it leaves the engine bay in mine (the EFI) wide open to whatever swap I choose to drop in
                    No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

It must have been some reason for that "off the shelf" system they did for 1989. It sure is different in every way than the 90 up system. I still run the stock carbs on mine for now, and have put about 200,000 miles total on three so far total. No real complaints on them, but I have noticed this past winter that the "blend" in our gas the EPA mandates for the Mid-Ohio Valley does not agree with them as in other years past. Usually the winter blend just cut fuel economy by about 10% before, and you noticed a small drop in performance.
                      The 90 being ATX, I only expect mid 20's, while the carbs have given me 39 in stock trim, the crate engine, with FMS cam, and lightened flywheel averages 37, these averages done over one year spans. Never drove the 89 ATX, just removed the LX goodies to other cars. I have heard from FB71 that the odd FI setup can be tuned to be quicker than the 90 up setup can as a side note also. Might be because of the vacuum advance distributor vs electronic governed on the later system.
                      Have owned 9 so far

Comment

Well, everything is back in and cranked up. Didn't run it for long (still haven't filled the radiator) and the front end was still up in the air... but, with my foot on the brakes the trans was taking forward and reverse, and was very smooth idling (at about 900) with the brakes held down in drive. Tomorrow I'll be fitting a vacuum tee to one of the vac lines on coming from the manifold to see if hooking the trans line that way will work. Also, anyone know what the round thingy on the front of the trans with a single wire coming from it is? I'm guessing maybe a kickdown solenoid? In the diagrams it looks like a single wire goes from the trans to a WOT switch, I guess on the gas pedal. Does that sound right? I'm gonna just hook up the Park switch to the wiring from the clutch pedal switch that won't be used once I swap pedal assembly's between the two cars. Still haven't found out which wires cut the reverse lights on, I'm thinking maybe I blew a fuse, I'll check them all tomorrow. But its in, and it runs, so I'm happy for one day
                        No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

Well, I thought I'd update now after having driven the car. I tee-ed into the vacuum line coming from the manifold that feeds a couple of the electrical vacuum switched mounted to the firewall. Car shifts fine, very smooth and at the right time. Still haven't hooked up the WOT switch to the kickdown solenoid since I haven't swapped pedals yet, but we drove it a few miles yesterday. No long trips yet since the radiator I used out of the white car is leaking. Fortunately the radiator that came out of this car is also an auto radiator (?) so its got the lines for the trans cooler, just gotta loosen them up and turn them around. We will most likely be driving around town in it this weekend just to make sure everything else is going smoothly before I turn her loose in it
                          No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

Fantastic, now you can work on yours again.
                            91 Festiva GL "Scrat"
                            82 Honda Goldwing GL1100i
                            85 BMW 535is "Brunhild"

Comment

Not for a while probably, no funds But I am getting the MX-6 tip-top again at least
                              No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

Working...
                              X