Transmission rebuild ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission rebuild ?

Does anyone know were to source a stock 5 speed transmission rebuild kit ? I called the local parts store all they can get is input shaft bearings and seals.

The local ford dealer said they can get one for $280.00 
    Last edited by Occhty; 03-17-2011, 01:44 PM.
    (paperboy 23) 88 Festy Blue, aspire Engine/trans/efi swap,

Check e-bay - I saw them on there. Usually the problem with these trans is the input shaft bearing (if they weren't abused too much).

Comment

Found this link from aspire.com site
      http://www.drivetrain.com/parts_catalog/manual_transmission_overhaul_kits/ford_4_5_speed_mazda_built_overhaul_kit.html

Comment

Cool. Thanks for the link!

Comment

So I ordered the trans rebuild kit from the above link, and it finally arrived today.
          Does anyone have any specs for the stock 4/5 speed trans like endplay, ect... I would hate to have to wing it.

Thanks

Comment

anyone know the transmission part number?

Comment

Interesting ... what special tools (aside from things like feeler gauges) might be needed to do a gearbox overhaul?
              88L black, dailydriver
              88LX silver a/c, dailydriver
              4 88/89 disassembled
              91L green
              91GL aqua pwrsteer
              92GL red a/c reardmg
              3 93L blue, 2 dailydriver, 1 frontdmg
              1952 Cessna170B floatplane

Comment

Snap ring pliers. Bearing puller if you're lucky. I destroyed differential bearing inners. Ripped all the edge off. Ended up grinding through it to pop the squeeze pressure, then slid right off. Expect to heat every pull so you don't break anything. Bitches pull hard.

Pencil magnet. Punches, need pencil ones to drive roll pins out to kill shift shafts. Various sockets to drive in/out seals. Install a new shift seal. It's like step #3 of #200 of assembly. I couldn't find one, so I made my own brass collar and grooved it in lathe and set 2 orings in it for a wiper and a sealer. It worked.
                Huge clean workspace. A full weekend and beer to enjoy it. It's fun don't rush it.

Oh, Various pipe to drive on new roller bearings on input and cluster if you're doing a true full overhaul.

The 6 mains and 4 seals isn't a true overhaul. Rollers, tapers, and pancake bearings, and new brass is what I call a full overhaul. Be sure to inspect the roll pin in the spider gears. Mine sheared, moved, spider pin slid outward, let gears fall out, busted hole in case.

Also check those thrust washers. If they're discoloured, stop with the 1 wheel spinning! It raises hell on those tiny spiders. The ratio is doubled of the final drive. No one realizes 30mph on the dash the one wheel spinning is doing 60!

Clearance, buy a plug dial indicator, I kept endplay between 2 and 4 thousandths. Shim stock was winged as I found whatever laying around. Brass foil, etc.

Enjoy. Just a car! They make more everyday.

Sent from my rooted HTC Supersonic using Tapatalk 2 Pro

Comment

About to venture into this territory myself. Is there a step by step walkthrough of this process anywhere?

Comment

all the shop manuals have a section on teardown, inspection and rebuild. also ford had a specific booklet for MT. it shows up on ebay occasionally. light orange cover.

Comment

I used some 78 pg pdf print off. Unfortunately it's on my file server, and that's at my buddies and offline.

The aspire or festiva gearbox? If I make a visit I'll be sure to grab it and post.

Sent from my One using Tapatalk
                      Last edited by jason_; 06-07-2016, 03:57 AM.

Comment

i'd like to see one for the festiva build ..... :-)

Comment

Working...
                        X