Starter/solenoid or bad ground?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starter/solenoid or bad ground?

This isn't festy related but its general knowledge so I'll just post it here. Starting my Ranger has became difficult lately and I'm not exactly sure where the problem lies so I need some help. Lately when I go out to start my truck it will just click the solenoid but the starter won't turn. After turning the key 4-5 times the starter will either try to turn and stop or will start right up. So I'm not sure whether I have a burnt contact in the starter or solenoid causing it to not start right away or maybe my ground wire is corroded causing it to not get the power flowing. I'm not exactly sure what the symptoms are for a bad ground so thats why I'm flustered. I tried tapping the starter and solenoids when it wouldn't start and it didn't affect anything so I need some help.

P.S. It is getting 12v to the starter... forgot to mention that
    Last edited by JoDan; 03-20-2011, 07:51 PM.

Sounds like a starter going bad.
    You can pull it and take in to be bench tested.
    Hotrod Forums Directory * D&D Discbrakes 61-67 Econoline Conversions
    1988 Festy - white 5spd 1.3 * 1992 Festy - red 5spd 1.3 * 1963 Econoline 5 window pu * 1993 Dodge W250 5.9 Cummings * 94 Mustang

Comment

My bet is the solenoid is going bad.

Next time it acts up, jumper across the small solenoid terminal to the battery cable and see if the engine turns. Or you can jump across both sides of the battery/starter terminals. If you do this, use something heavy like pliers or you could burn your hands.

Make sure the truck is out of gear and the park brake set or you could get run over if the engine starts.

Comment

constant clicking could be a bad ground or not enough power. eitherway, not enough power is going through the circuit. i like to use a meter to check, but a good visual and a good tightening down of bolts usually helps. i have had this twice in the past year, usually after a good cold snap.

1.3Liter 4 cylinder FI , OHC, FWD, 3DR, 4ST, Stud. Tires

Comment

IIRC the ranger has 2 solenoids for the starter (one on the starter and on on the fender wall) it could be a combination of both going bad....
          Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
          94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Working...
          X