Window problem on Festiva

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Window problem on Festiva

My driver side door window pops off the front track when it is rolled down and you slam the door. I have replaced the window regulator and that didn't fix it. Anyone have a suggestion? A Festiva friend said to try replacing the window channel inserts but I can't find anywhere to buy new ones.

Any suggestions because I am getting tired of popping the panel and putting it back on track.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

It's just a Festiva thing, some do it some don't. Mine has never done it, but my friends all have the problem you're having.

88 Festy L (The White Thunder)
    91 L came and gone, owned only 2 days

Comment

Festiva Motorsport has them. Expensive though.
      -Bryant

Comment

Does this help
        Explore JC Whitney for premium auto parts & accessories, dive into car culture, & stay updated with the latest automotive events & tech trends
        (paperboy 23) 88 Festy Blue, aspire Engine/trans/efi swap,

Comment

verify that the front channel hasn't broken the lower spotweld to the bracket that holds it, if this pops loose, you'll have the issue you describe.
          Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
          94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Can you make adjustments with a pair of pliers?
            Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Not specifically trying to resurrect this thread, but found while hunting for something else and meant to post on this anyway. Are you sure it pops out of the track, or do you just think it does? I expected I would have to take my shotgun door apart on the 77K Festiva I just bought - the glass only rolled up by helping it up the track - it would get cocked in the channel. I didn't think it could possibly be just a matter of lost lubricity, but sprayed silicone spray down both channels and also the window seal at the bottom opening, and presto! It rolled up like a normal window. I had to do this several times over the next couple days to get it fully OK, but never had to deal with any hardware in the process. Driver window had some similar issues but not nearly as bad, and those cured the same way.

Comment

I'm kinda glad you bumped it. Since I got my Festiva, the windows would roll up 3/4 the way and then tilt forward, which means to roll them up all the way I had to get out and use 2 hands. after a while of using it like that the driver side actually fell out of the track and now it rides up the outside of the track. I havent had time to take it apart and check it out yet, but I like the idea of having some intel going into the problem.
                I suck at the internet

Comment

I bought my first parts car entirely because of window track problems. The only criterion for purchase was that the drivers side window rolled up and down smooth. I never could figure out what was wrong with mine (I tried all kinds of things) but the parts from the other car worked slick as silk once they were in. Good luck.

Comment

Ohhhhhhhhhhh..... So THATS why my pass window didn't roll up last month after i slammed the door with it down. :/

(I did get it back up with pressure and force)
                    1990 White L-Plus 5-speed rust-machine
                    Scrapped

1991 Blue L 5-speed
                    daily driver, intermittent project

1993 rustless wonder
                    A shell, awaiting suspension, brakes, and B6T

Comment

Mine was acting exactly like Clay's before his finally jumped the track. Silicone spray was all it needed. Roll the window all the way down and spray down the channels. Work it up and back down, spray again. If it isn't way better, there's something more going on. May need to repeat a few times more over time, but it'll get better each time till it's like new.

Comment

OooOo I am gonna try this my drivers side does the cock eyed drop when it gets 3/4 way up. I checked the bottom set screws in regulator & have been baffled to as why it does this. I will try the silicone to see if it fixes it & if not look at spot welds. Thanks for the bump & info/tips guys :thumbright:
                        Send An Invite If Ya Want

1991 Ford Festiva GL- Auto

Comment

You can loosen the top bolts of the regulator and move it away from the side that sticks as well. Usually that helps, but silicone spray elevates the same problem by lubricating the side that sticks instead of pulling the window out of it a little bit.
                          -Zack
                          Blue '93 GL Auto: White 13" 5 Point Wheels, Full LED Conversion, and an 8" Sub

Comment

Working...
                          X