Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lifters taping

Hi all,
    I have a 89 festiva L4 - 1.3L vin H 1295cc - MFI . Sometimes the lifters tap,sometimes severly with a power loss. It has new oil and is full, plenty of water. New radiator,new thermostat,new intake gaskets. It acts like it's getting hot, temp reads ok.
    Mabey it's loosing oil pressure? No warning lights. HELP!
    Thanks everyone....Korey:puke:

You may have a bad lifter(s).
    You have to listen to hear exactly which one is making the tapping sound.
    I would remove the valve cover and take a peek.
    Does anyone know how bad the oil splash is with the engine running?

Comment

Well its all of the lifters, when it happens....I'm guessing lack of oil pressure?

Comment

Shouldn't an '89 be carb'd and have a mechanical cam ?. If so, it would be a valve lash issue and just adjust the valves.
        Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
        04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
        62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
        Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

Originally posted by blkfordsedan View Post
          Shouldn't an '89 be carb'd and have a mechanical cam ?. If so, it would be a valve lash issue and just adjust the valves.
          Not if its ATX!
          '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
          '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
          '92 Aqua parts Car
          '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
          '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
          Your holy ghost will not save you.
          Your God plutonium will not save you.
          In fact...
          ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

My '88LX carbed ATX had some ticking from the valves this morning but it went away after a few minutes.
            No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

It's fuel injected...and the lifters only sometimes tap. I'm told that if it were a valve lash issue it would be constant. Yet I'm still clueless!
              Thanks for your help!

Comment

Well it probably needs an oil pan gasket anyway, so you could pull the pan and see if the screen on the pick up tube is partially plugged with small pieces of sludge and carbon deposits. If not you can make a tee off the oil pressure sending unit and attach a mechanical oil pressure guage and see what oil psi it is carrying. It's a place to start.
                91 Festiva GL "Scrat"
                82 Honda Goldwing GL1100i
                85 BMW 535is "Brunhild"

Comment

Try some chemical additive to clean things up. Could do a comression test to see if there is pressure leakage. Also a vacuum guage will give some indication of bent or sticky valves. See the permanent ("sticky") article on vaccum guage diagnosis at the top of this forum.
                  Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

I would recommend checking the compression as well, but if thats not practical, try some seafoam in the oil. I'm not a big fan of adding chemicals to the crank case, but sometimes its worth the risk (the risk I see in chemicals is causing an oil leak to get worse). In this case thats probably what I would do, to see if it would free up any gunk in the lifters or oil system.
                    ~Nate

the keeper of a wonderful lil car, Skeeter.

Current cars:
                    91L "Skeeter" 170k, Aspire brakes, G15, BP, Advancedynamics coil overs, etc. My first love.
                    1990 Kawasaki Ninja 250 - my gas saver, 60+mpg - 40k
                    2004 MotoGuzzi Breva - my "longer range" bike - 17k

FOTY 2008 winner!

Comment

I switched to a 5w-20 motorcraft oil and my ticking problems went away before i sold the car. However I read that its also under $100 to replace all the lifters and buy all new gaskets. I'd try the thinner oil change first.
                      1993 GL 5 speed

It's a MazdaFordnKia thing, and you will understand!

Comment

Originally posted by Pu241 View Post
                        Not if its ATX!
                        details, details.................
                        Last edited by blkfordsedan; 03-23-2011, 06:28 PM.
                        Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
                        04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon

Comment

Originally posted by korey_gunn View Post
                          It's fuel injected...and the lifters only sometimes tap. I'm told that if it were a valve lash issue it would be constant. Yet I'm still clueless!
                          Thanks for your help!
                          Yes, mechanical will tap until the engine warms up and everything expands, they they will usually quiet down (if adjusted properly). Worst case you have to put new HLA's in it (or at least a few) They're fairly cheap & easy to replace.
                          Brian

Comment

To tell which HLA's need to be replaced, you need to remove the valve cover.
                            Then you'd rotate the crank with your hands (if you remove the spark plugs first or you're superman) or you can put a socket wrench on the crank bolt. I remove the spark plugs and rotate the cam with a gear wrench.
                            You'd rotate the cam so that when a valve is completely closed you can push down on the top of a rocker at that valve, there should be no play in the hla. If there's play, that's a noisy one. The reason the noise eventually goes away is that the offending hla eventually "pumps up" with oil. That's your warning sign it's not holding it's seal and will eventually get to the point where it won't pump up at all. Tick Tick Tick. If you decide to replace just a few, at least get one or two spares
                            Last edited by iceracerdude; 03-23-2011, 07:25 PM.
                            97 Aspire w/K03 turbocharged b6 SOHC
                            CoolingMist Varicool II Meth injection
                            Phantom gripped and cryo'ed 5 speed

Comment

O.K. I recently went through this same scare with my Festiva. The exhaust had been noisy for about a month so I don't know how long this was happening - but one day I was coming back from Washington on 295 and traffic was backed-up so while I was sitting there I started to hear a noise and discovered it was coming from my engine. I stopped and discovered I was about 3/4 quart of oil low. So I went in Walmart and got a bottle of 20w50 and put it in. Still noisey - with loss of power. Got home - Next morning tappity tap (like it does occasionally when it sits and then the serious noises with loss of power. I got some Seafoam from NAPA and put about 6 oz in the oil and about the same in the gas (saved about a third of the can). The car was back to normal in about 10 to 15 miles of driving. After about a day, the noises returned. I poured the rest in the oil figuring what do I have to lose. Got better but then about 10 miles later - all the lifters were being noisey. I spun off the oil filter and put another one on. Problem solved. I think the crap from the engine clogged the filter (that sucker was heavy and had only been on the car for about 2.5K miles). Drove it about another 150 miles and did another oil change (The oil was absolutely filthy). It now runs better than it had in a long time and no more noises. I'm sure the HLA's still aren't perfect but at least it is behaving normally again. Try the Seafoam, but be ready to loosen up a ton of old crap and be ready (have a new filter with you) to change a filter if you detect a loss of oil pressure (I was lucky to have one with me). BTW, the light never came on but I open the oil cap and it wasn't dripping with oil like it usually does - so don't think the light will let you know if you have low pressure (it won't).
                              Good Luck - sure beat pulling the cam and rockers out and cleaning the HLAs.
                              Last edited by roycehof; 03-27-2011, 02:07 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X