New Festiva owner, Problems/questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Festiva owner, Problems/questions

I just bought a 1992 festiva lx last week. It has power mirrors, rear wiper, full door panels with pockets but no a/c, 150,000kms (90,000miles ish). Anyways, I went to take it through aircare(emissions), and it failed just barely on the Hydrocarbons(HC), reading 0.5128 when a pass is 0.500
    It passed the co and Nox no problem, what could this be caused by? Oxygen sensor? The idle seems a little rough, but the car has not been driven in 6 months so maybe thats part of the reason.

Yesterday I went to open it up and the door won't open on the drivers side from the outside or inside. The lock works, and I can pull up on the handle, but nothing happens. Is there anyway to fix this without taking it in?

check the little plastic zubies that attach to the lock mechanism... this requires removing the door panel
    Andrew Walker

Current Daily Driver:
    89 Nissan D21 SE V6 5 speed 4x4
    Projects in the works:
    84 Mercedes Benz 300D(T)(Baby) currently awaiting transmission transplant/ full on restoration

Comment

Welcome! Where are you from? (should put your location on your profile) Also, you should never have to "take your festiva in" to any shop for 99% of things! haha

Comment

I'm in New Westminster. Hopefully I can get the door panel off tonight with it still closed to take a look at those black things

Comment

Door Panel Removal-
          First remove the window handle. There is a little clip that holds it to the door so remove that first. I use a Flat Head others say using a credit card or something works.
          Next remove the screw in the door handle, and the screw on the bottom right of the door panel. Then the door panel has little plastic holders all around. I just take a flat head and pop them out one by one.
          -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Nancy- 1.8L BP, aspire swap, g-trans
          The Adventures of Nancy! Build Thread
          -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Musica! Click me!

Comment

For the aircare:
            1. make sure it has a fresh tuneup--air filter, spark plugs, dist. cap, rotor and even wires.
            2. then retard the ignition a little.
            3. toss a bottle of "Guaranteed to Pass" from the McParts store in the gas tank, and fill the tank with gas.
            4. change the oil and filter. While you're at it, add a bottle of seal restorer in with the new oil.

These steps will probably do you fine. Get a Haynes manual (McParts store) if you don't have one.
            90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
            09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Originally posted by 92festiva93 View Post
              Yesterday I went to open it up and the door won't open on the drivers side from the outside or inside. The lock works, and I can pull up on the handle, but nothing happens. Is there anyway to fix this without taking it in?

You definitely have at least one of the rods that connect to the external door handle disconnected. Take your door panel off and you'll see what I'm talking about.

If the clip that connects the external handle to the rod is broken, I'd see if your Ford dealer can order this part (or ask FF.com mebers if they have one they'll give you). The generic part that someone slapped on mine quickly fell off and quit working so I recommend trying to get THE part that Ford made for Festivas. BTW, while you have your door panel open I recommend shooting some WD-40 on your door lock and door lock knob. I did and I was amazed at how much easier my key worked in the lock and how much easier I could raise and lower the door lock latch.
              88L - 'Twistiva' - 'The Fusion of Man and Machine'
              88LX - 'Laztiza' - Future Resurrection Project
              91L - 'Mistiva' - My Daughter's DD
              93L - 'Vextiva' - Airport Car

Comment

A putty knife works good for prying off the door panel.

Comment

Cool, was that the one on CL just the other day? Was only up for a day! Didnt even get a chance to look at it!

For our friends in the USA, we in Canada have no idea what a McParts store is.......We have Lordco or Napa or Gerrys Automotive (in Abbotsford BC)
                  Last edited by Darlo; 03-25-2011, 08:46 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X