Oil leak from cam gear seal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil leak from cam gear seal?

i have an 1989 festy L with the stock 1.3. i just replaced the cam seal, beaded it with silicone, and redid the timing cover gasket but i still have oil in there. the entire head gasket set was replaced and is new. i also have oil coming threw the throttle body into the airbox? If anybody can help me fix this because i have no money for my by b6 swap motor yet and i need to make this motor last for a while.

If your near the harrisburg pennsylvania area and can help it would be awesome to meet up. thanks in advance!

roll down here and i'll fix you up... the cam seal should have been put in DRY with a very thin coating of oil on the cam itself to keep the inner seal lip from tearing.

i take it you have a carbed engine?
    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

i have not been under the hood too much to tell if it is carbed. are you available tomorrow? i could bring it down tomorrow if you wanted.

Comment

There is no oil that can come through the throttle body (if you are EFI). If you're getting oil in the air box, it's probably coming from the small hose that runs from the valve cover to the side of the intake tube. Excessive crankcase pressure is forcing oil from under the valve cover into breather tube, via that small hose. You may have installed the cam seal crooked in the bore or nicked the lip on install, but that same pressure may also be forcing oil past the cam seal (and every other gasket & seal on the engine). The pressure is caused combustion gasses leaking past the piston rings. My guess is you probably have one (or both) of two issues:

A) excessive cylinder & ring wear (engine's worn out)
        B) bad PCV valve

A compression test will tell you what you got to work with. Hope this helps.
        Last edited by blkfordsedan; 03-25-2011, 06:00 PM.
        Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
        04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
        62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
        Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

is it automatic? if it is, it's EFI, if not then it's carbed. and i'll only be available before 11am and after 6pm on sunday, off on mon and tues.
          Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
          94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

unfortunately it is an automatic, wish it was manual...maybe later...okay maybe well have to set something up later this week or maybe next week end cause my sundays are always full

Comment

Working...
            X