Rear shock lower bolt question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear shock lower bolt question

I'm getting the Aspire rear axle prepped to install in my Festiva. The shocks were still on it when I brought it home. The bolts loosened from the captured nut so that's not an issue but it has siezed to the shock mount. I have cut the shock off the bolt and cut away the rubber so all that's left is the metal tube that was part of the shock and the bolt itself.

Any suggestions or hints on how I might "unsieze" the bolt? I've been soaking it with "Release-All" for a couple of days. If I have to cut it out then that's OK I was just hoping to salvage the bolts.

Thanks
    Ian
    Calgary AB, Canada
    93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
    59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Heat the bushing with a torch should loosen it. Make sure you blow dry the area with an air hose before you start in case the Release All is flammable.
    You gonna race that thing?
    http://www.sdfcomputers.com/Festivaracing.htm

Comment

If that doesn't do it, just hacksaw it off.
      90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
      09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

When I heat nuts with a propane torch I count to 60 slowly.
        Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

So as I understand it, as you turn the bolt, the shock mount metal sleeve turns with it. You can also tell that the bolt is coming out of the captive nut.

One thing to make sure is that you don't keep turning the bolt. That will make it come out of the captive nut and if you go too far it will break that captive nut loose by pushing it into the axle arm interior. Not good!

I think that's how I ruined a perfectly good Aspire rear axle. I didn't understand how it all worked at that time.

I'd tend to favor Tom's hacksaw method. That way you're not messing with turning the bolt at all. Not saying the heat method won't work, mind you. I don't think you'll have any problems getting new(er) bolts.

Karl
          '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
          '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
          '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
          '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
          '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

cut them off it is only like $4 for new bolts.

1993 Festiva L, aspire swapped, selling parts for a BP+T build.

Comment

This is a perfect application for the "heat wrench". If the axle beam is out of the car, take the cutting torch to the metal around the bushing. The bushing will burn but it doesn't matter. While the bushing sleeve is still hot, impact the bolt out. Works every time. Just have some water around in case that rubber bushing wants to keep burning - they tend to stink up the garage. Of course you'll loose the strut, but I figure you can't win them all - struts are easily available.

Comment

Thanks to all for your input. Just got both sides out without having to cut the bolts! A little bit of heat, a little bit of "Release-All", a little bit of impact wrench and a little prayer did the trick.

Ian
                Ian
                Calgary AB, Canada
                93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
                59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

congrats!! 2 for 2!!
                  Walth

Festiva #1: 91 Red L 4/5
                  http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=27981

Comment

Working...
                  X