No announcement yet.

Fuel leaking from new carb.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I currently have the carb off, so I haven't checked fuel presure yet, but I am thinking about just washing out all the old fuel and crud and just starting all over fresh. I am thinking about using an air compressor to blow through the fuel hoses to clean any junk out of them that might be in there. Is this a bad idea? Also, I am wanting to drain the tank completely so I can clean out all the grime that I have heard builds up in our tanks. Is there a drain plug, or should I just stick a syphon hose into the fill tube or...? This should at least remove the question of bad gas, and clogged fuel lines. I have a new filter ready to put on, and from what I have read it only has the one inline on the firewall, correct? Thanks everyone for any advice they can share.
    The normal is not always normal... MOST is not ALL... And any job can be hard if you don't have the right tools!!!

My Fleet:
    89 L 4spd (Daily Driver(if it isn't broke down)) "Spanky"

Comment

There is a drain plug on the driver side bottom of the fuel tank. I would drain the fuel out, then look into the access panel under the rear seat and look for crud in the tank. If its clean, then you don't have to worry about dropping it or cleaning it. I used a bicycle pump to blow out the fuel lines, but if the fuel lines are disconnected from everything then I don't see why an air compressor would hurt anything. There is only one inline filter, just install it with the arrow pointing with the flow towards the carb.
      '90 LX

Comment

That is exactly the kind of response I was looking for... Thanks!
        The normal is not always normal... MOST is not ALL... And any job can be hard if you don't have the right tools!!!

My Fleet:

Comment

.... You don't want to use too much pressure in blowing out the fuel line. If the pick-up FILTER in the tank on the pick-up-PIPE is badly clogged you MAY wreck it. Clean it FIRST. How to Ref: http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=34971

Originally posted by wybnrml View Post
          There is a drain plug on the driver side bottom of the fuel tank. I would drain the fuel out, then look into the access panel under the rear seat and look for crud in the tank. If its clean, then you don't have to worry about dropping it or cleaning it. I used a bicycle pump to blow out the fuel lines, but if the fuel lines are disconnected from everything then I don't see why an air compressor would hurt anything. There is only one inline filter, just install it with the arrow pointing with the flow towards the carb.
          A hunch is creativity trying to tell you something.

Comment

Originally posted by boydg1 View Post
            .... You don't want to use too much pressure in blowing out the fuel line. If the pick-up FILTER in the tank on the pick-up-PIPE is badly clogged you MAY wreck it. Clean it FIRST. How to Ref: http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=34971
            This car is carb'd, so I have been told, and read that the only filter it has is the inline on the firewall. Are you saying there is one in the tank too? Is it the same for FI and carb'd?

My Fleet:

Comment

^There is a little screen on the end of the pickup tube inside the tank on carb cars. But when I blew out my fuel lines I disconnected them from everything, so there wasn't a chance of damaging anything.
              '90 LX

Comment

So, I finally was able to get out and investigate some more today. (after having several days of rain and cold) I discovered that the fuel presure was too high as mentioned, and this is because of something I did. In my Weber swap post, I asked about a hose going into a steel line down where the charcoal canister was. I asked what to do with it, and noone responded. This IS however the fuel return line from the fuel pump! So, for those of you who have done the weber swap and removed the canister, how did you return the excess fuel to the tank? Currently, since I didn't know what it was at the time, it is capped. So, yes, my fault... but I still need advice on where to go from here and what to do with that. Thanks again everyone!

My Fleet:

Comment

you gotta pic of such hose in question???? Cause I do believe that my fuel pump has a retun line a feed line from the tank and the feed line to the carb.
                  Man should eat when he can for Man does not know when his last meal will be.

Comment

Originally posted by brickdog2000 View Post
                    you gotta pic of such hose in question???? Cause I do believe that my fuel pump has a retun line a feed line from the tank and the feed line to the carb.
                    My pump has the same, but the return line used to go to the canister, which is no longer there.
                    I am holding the return hose in this picture where it becomes a steel line down under the filter:

Here is where the steel line ends and becomes a rubber hose again, which was attached to the canister:

Now, I need to know where to connect this hose to to let it flow back to the tank.

My Fleet:

Comment

Hold on I am takking some picks of mine to compare. I just have to load them now.

Comment

Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know.

Comment

My connects to the charcoal canister. And from there a bunch of other hoses. Sorry I couldn't help

sent from my EVO powered by Sprint using Tapatalk.
                          First time owner
                          89 L carb'd - white / still needs work
                          Bought for mpg and only paid $250

Comment

http://http://www.facebook.com/media/set/fbx/?set=a.182156205166071.37596.100001150776611&saved #!/photo.php?fbid=182156235166068&set=a.1821562051660 71.37596.100001150776611&type=1&theater

Comment

I am currently having issues here. However you will see that there are three metal lines behind your fuel filter.

Comment

I believe 2 are brakes and one is the one in question.

My Fleet:

Comment

Working...
                                X