B3/B6 HLA service

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B3/B6 HLA service

There's been a couple of posts outlining the procedure for cleaning BP HLAs recently. Can the B3/B6 HLA's be serviced in a similar manner?

Thanks
    Ian
    Calgary AB, Canada
    93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
    59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

soaking in solvent or using a sonic cleaner? yes.
    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

If you are talking about soaking like Festyboy said, then yes. If you are referring to actually pulling them apart and cleaning them like the Miata guys have been doing for year on the B6D and BP engines, then I don't think so. The SOHC one are quite different from the DOHC HLAs, I don't know if you could pull them apart like the BP ones, and even if you could, not sure they would go back together again afterwards. If you have one thats shot though and want to try it, why not? Post pics!
      No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
        soaking in solvent or using a sonic cleaner? yes.
        Have you had pretty good luck with doing that? What solvent did you use and how long did you soak them? I might try it.......I've tried holding the check ball in and sraying them out with an aerosol solvent, but it didn't really help. Just ended up buying new ones, LOL.
        Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
        04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
        62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
        Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

soak in PB blast if stuck, then soak in SeaFoam to clear them out of carbon (agitate to speed up the process). using a sonic cleaner works wonders ( i saw one at Harbor Freight for about $40 the other day).

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
            ( i saw one at Harbor Freight for about $40 the other day).
            I always like this ongoing thread:
            The problem with HF is that some of their stuff is decent, and some of it is horrid. But you never know which is which, till you buy it and try it. So what if we made a thread where we posted our HF purchases with a PASS or FAIL grade? After awhile we could check this thread and see what's...

Comment

that's interesting... too bad it's over 110 pages long LOL

Comment

Do you have a photo of one of them? I've cleaned DOHC HLAs but have never seen the SOHC HLAs. I have however cleaned mitsubishi sohc HLAs that may be very similar. I kept them in oil as I pressed the check ball and compressed them at the same time. Doing this several times moves oil in and out of the HLA and you can see the old oil/crud coming off.
                The mitsu HLAs have a pressed cap/ring that prevents the HLA from coming apart. If you really want you could remove the cap and clean them better since the rocker and the valve won't let it come apart anyway. They are "one-piece" so that they don't come apart during assembly of the rockers.
                Maybe I'll take the cam off my b3 to take a look at one of the HLAs.
                BTW, the HF ultrasonic cleaner won't do much if you don't take them apart.
                Oscar

Comment

Originally posted by perucho View Post
                  Do you have a photo of one of them?
                  From AZ's site:

FWIW the HLA are the same used on the '88-'92 MX6/626 2.2L engines. If you see one at the yard grab them, takes only a few minutes to pull the valve cover and rockers and get all 12 (F2 is a 12 valve motor) and then you have a complete set for a festy AND 4 spares
                  No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

Working...
                  X