Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any Difference Between L & R Rear Spindles?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Difference Between L & R Rear Spindles?

Couldn't find anything definitive in previous threads.
    RR spindle on my '90 is a little scarred so I'm pulling one from my '93 parts car. Havin' trouble getting the cap out of the hub so I can pull the drum. Is it kosher to use left rear if I can't easily get the dust cap off the right? I already have new bearing set (I and O) and can use either drum. DD has about 218K, donor car has 236K, and as far as I know, all parts are original.
    If worse comes to worse, I guess I could use my slide hammer dent puller on that cap, but I hate drillin' any un-necessary holes.
    Thanks.
    Last edited by bugbor; 03-30-2011, 11:14 AM. Reason: 'Cause I spell like a dummy
    Rob J

The only difference between the rear spindles is the thread direction for the nut. I believe that the left is threaded backwards, but it could be the other way around. As far as dimensions go, they're identical. Just make sure that when you get new nuts that you get them threaded the right way.
    91 L 5sp "The Silver Bullet" B6, Brake/Susp Swapped Build Thread
    92 L 5sp "Red" RIP
    95 Grand Prix SE DD
    Wife's Stuff:
    89 L 5sp "Carby Car"
    97 Aspire auto "Pink Panther"
    Build Thread

Spring 2013 IndyStiva:
    http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...eet-April-20th

Comment

Right side has left handed threads.
      Jerry
      Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
      90 L "Peewee" B6D. Bought new May 16,1990
      92 L Thunder BP G5M-R Turbo B6T electronics. Jan 2016 FOTM winner SOLD
      93 L Lightning. BP

Not a user of drugs or alcohol, Just addicted to Festiva's

Comment

Thanks for the quick comebacks. I guess that as long as I keep the nuts together with the respective spindles I should be okay. I suppose I'll have to put the old spindle back on the parts car so I'll at least be able to keep it mobile.
        Rob J

Comment

I believe that you can use the left side spindle on the right side. You simply have to remember that the threads aren't reversed when you have to remove the nut.
          Jerry
          Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
          90 L "Peewee" B6D. Bought new May 16,1990
          92 L Thunder BP G5M-R Turbo B6T electronics. Jan 2016 FOTM winner SOLD
          93 L Lightning. BP

Not a user of drugs or alcohol, Just addicted to Festiva's

Comment

Working...
          X