Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My wiper is too hyper! How do i change wiper speed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My wiper is too hyper! How do i change wiper speed?

I would like to change the wiper speed setting of "high" to not be so fast, more like normal, and the wiper speed setting of "default" to also not be so fast, more like slow. IE, bring both speeds down 30%. Is this possible? Is there a setting somewhere? Right now i get uptight watching them fly so fast - so unnecessarily fast.

Rock on,
    Marlin7

Swap in a variable intermitant wiper switch and be done.
    The normal is not always normal... MOST is not ALL... And any job can be hard if you don't have the right tools!!!

My Fleet:
    89 L 4spd (Daily Driver(if it isn't broke down)) "Spanky"

Comment

Could this be a result of your faulty alternator overcharging the battery and the wipers going super duper fast?

I second the variable intermittent switch.
      -Zack
      Blue '93 GL Auto: White 13" 5 Point Wheels, Full LED Conversion, and an 8" Sub

Comment

Ok cool, so i need to switch the switch, there's no setting to change. Anybody have a source for variable intermitant wiper switches?

Also, fyi, the wipers have always been too hyper, before and after the alternator incident that crazyrog17 refers to. Now off to read my post on that...

Comment

Look for '88 to '89 Festiva LXs, same year Mazda 323s, and some later year 626s for intermittant wiper modules to snag. Then, except for the Festiva unit, you'll have to remove the right side stalk from your find and replace the right side wiper switch on your current module. We can talk you through it. Be sure and take a 20mm socket with you to the 'yard for the steering wheel nut removal. At the same time you might want to buy the steering wheel, too.

After the swap, you may need to adjust your stalk to steering wheel distance. Cross that bridge when you get to it.

Karl
          Last edited by Safety Guy; 04-03-2011, 05:18 PM.
          '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
          '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
          '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
          '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
          '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

21mm karl. I'd bring a 21deep or 21shorty w/ extension as either will work...and after you get the nut off, punch the steering wheel at like 9 and 3 repeatedly with your palm and then fight it like a bull, lol and it will come off in about 3 seconds (sometimes...)
            Walth

Festiva #1: 91 Red L 4/5
            http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=27981

Comment

You could put a resister inline with the motor.
              93 Ford Festiva WA (project car)
              98 Ford Festiva WF (aspire)(parts car)
              98 "Gloria" Toyota Corolla AE101 (daily driver)

Comment

it'd have to be a biiig resistor... like a blower motor resistor, i guess.
                -Zack

Comment

Originally posted by walth View Post
                  21mm karl. I'd bring a 21deep or 21shorty w/ extension as either will work...and after you get the nut off, punch the steering wheel at like 9 and 3 repeatedly with your palm and then fight it like a bull, lol and it will come off in about 3 seconds (sometimes...)
                  Don't forget once you get the nut off twist it back on a couple of turns to avoid knocking yourself in the head when the wheel comes loose... seen a buddy just about knock himself out doing that. And I think Crazyrog is right about your alternating having something to do with it. In my MX6 when the regulator blew my wipers would sometimes come on by themselves :shock:
                  No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

It's only a 12v dc motor is it not?
                    93 Ford Festiva WA (project car)
                    98 Ford Festiva WF (aspire)(parts car)
                    98 "Gloria" Toyota Corolla AE101 (daily driver)

Comment

Yeah, it's just 12v dc with two windings for low and high (think 3 way bulb).

A resistor on it's ground cable would be easiest but I don't see how getting that right would be easy.

I'm still rootin for the variable intermittent switch.
                      -Zack

Comment

wow, never had a steering wheel fly off at me. I just punch it til it's getting loose and then work it from side to side with both hands and pull it off the column.

I vote variable too! I have two sets of 626 w/ var. int. just need to look at what's necessary to use them. don't I have to swap the wiper side of the 626 switch to my festy switch?
                        Walth

Festiva #1: 91 Red L 4/5
                        http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=27981

Comment

Working...
                        X