car wont stay running

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• car wont stay running

so this is my situation, last week my car died, wouldnt stay running for longer then 2 seconds so I replaced the distributor and fuel pump the distributor was in pretty rough shape then it drove fine for about 300k and with no signs of dieing I went into the mall and came back to the same condition.

I found that if I floor it it will start and stay running until i take my foot off the floor. but couldnt drive it farther then 80 feet as its a manual tranny lol shifting caused it to die. then it wont start for a good half hour (flooded?).

I took the throttle body off and there was a puddle of oil in there, cleaned it out and it seemed to start easier but still had the dieing problem. Just finished doing a tune-up on it so everything should be good. checked the fuses, pump seems to have pressure.

the conclusion ive come up with is..
    VAF?
    Ignition Coil
    Timing off
    O2 sensor
    clogged cat.

but as there is quite the list... i dont really want to replace them all lol so I thought I would come here for a 2nd opinion.

ill probably tow it home on a tow-bar tomorrow from the mall and see what i can find.

If you changed your distributor make sure that you checked your timing after.
    91 Festiva BP Autocross/Track/Rallycross hopeful
    14 C7 Z51

Comment

.... Also, If you have 300K on your car your O2 most likely has gone SOUTH. Check out this thread: http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=33945 And, while your at it, if you have an 88 or 89 non auto you might want to clean out your EGR valve, see this thread: http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=34252

Originally posted by hermit View Post
      so this is my situation, last week my car died, wouldnt stay running for longer then 2 seconds so I replaced the distributor and fuel pump the distributor was in pretty rough shape then it drove fine for about 300k and with no signs of dieing I went into the mall and came back to the same condition.

I found that if I floor it it will start and stay running until i take my foot off the floor. but couldnt drive it farther then 80 feet as its a manual tranny lol shifting caused it to die. then it wont start for a good half hour (flooded?).

I took the throttle body off and there was a puddle of oil in there, cleaned it out and it seemed to start easier but still had the dieing problem. Just finished doing a tune-up on it so everything should be good. checked the fuses, pump seems to have pressure.

the conclusion ive come up with is..
      VAF?
      Ignition Coil
      Timing off
      O2 sensor
      clogged cat.

but as there is quite the list... i dont really want to replace them all lol so I thought I would come here for a 2nd opinion.

ill probably tow it home on a tow-bar tomorrow from the mall and see what i can find.
      A hunch is creativity trying to tell you something.

Comment

ah sorry my bad I missed the M in KM, it was last week it died, 300km and it died again. but my car has 334865km on it. I will check the 02 sensor, ive got a 91 EFI manual festy didnt think it had an EGR?

Comment

make sure that u didnt break any vacuum lines and make sure that the pickup in the distributor isnt loose.

Comment

If / when you figure this out, be sure to let me know. I am having the same issue right now with my 89' L.
            The normal is not always normal... MOST is not ALL... And any job can be hard if you don't have the right tools!!!

My Fleet:
            89 L 4spd (Daily Driver(if it isn't broke down)) "Spanky"

Comment

^doyler, your car is carbed, his is EFI, totally different systems.

Hermit, it's not the cat, timing belt, coil or o2 sensor.... that leaves the VAF. in the vaf there is a signal wire to your fuel pump relay to comand it on once the car is started. if you have corrosion at your VAF harness connector, it can cause this problem as it doesn't allow enough current flow to the relay to latch it in the ON position. take the VAF connector and remove and insert it a few times and see if that makes a differance.
              Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
              94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

aybe put some dielectric grease on there too! to prevent future corrosion.

88 festiva lx, 2.3 turbo rwd swap in progress
                1999.5 f-350 4x4 7.3 gtp38r 5" exhaust ect.
                R.i.p. 1990 Western Star 5964s 3406b 530whp (4.2mpg!)
                00' western star flat top ex, 600hp 6nz 2250tq, 18918b, 3.55, full lockers, 6" straight pipes
                03' gt, full termi swap 700+ whp build

sponsered by,
                pam pam's junk, dayton OR.
                Bob's ok tires, salem OR.
                Clausen Truckin', keizer OR.

Comment

Have you checked for spark and fuel pressure since it died?
                  If you are losing one that will help narrow down the failed component.
                  Hotrod Forums Directory * D&D Discbrakes 61-67 Econoline Conversions
                  1988 Festy - white 5spd 1.3 * 1992 Festy - red 5spd 1.3 * 1963 Econoline 5 window pu * 1993 Dodge W250 5.9 Cummings * 94 Mustang

Comment

O... Ok well I saw a post up there that said 88 or 89 so I just assumed his was carbed too... My mistake.
                    The normal is not always normal... MOST is not ALL... And any job can be hard if you don't have the right tools!!!

My Fleet:
                    89 L 4spd (Daily Driver(if it isn't broke down)) "Spanky"

Comment

If it is EFI, make sure you don't have any leaks in the tube from the VAF to the throttle body. That is where I would start.

Comment

I towed it home, started it with very little battery, fired up like normal and ran like normal took it for a cruise arround town just in case. now how am i gonna diagnose what was wrong lol.

Comment

.... Did you check, or better yet, replace the O2 sensor?? Sounds exactly like what I went through.

I towed it home, started it with very little battery, fired up like normal and ran like normal took it for a cruise arround town just in case. now how am i gonna diagnose what was wrong lol.

Comment

no i havent checked or replaced the O2 sensor, I found the problem, or atleast 2 problems lol, my negative battery cable was shorting out, so i replaced it. And I cleaned all the contacts with electrical cleaner.. so far this seems to have fixed the problem. gonna run it in the driveway for a good hour though dont want to tow it home a third time this week! lol

Comment

..... Interesting, what did your negative battery cable short out ON? :|

no i havent checked or replaced the O2 sensor, I found the problem, or atleast 2 problems lol, my negative battery cable was shorting out, so i replaced it. And I cleaned all the contacts with electrical cleaner.. so far this seems to have fixed the problem. gonna run it in the driveway for a good hour though dont want to tow it home a third time this week! lol

Comment

Working...
                              X