Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need new Exhaust! Any cheap suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need new Exhaust! Any cheap suggestions?

Hey all, I have been running with a small exhaust leak for some time now, and it was alright (a little loud, but not too bad). NOW..... The exhaust sounds like it is completely gone! (Sounds like a TANK!) I had it checked out in hopes they could do a "$20 quick fix", but the place said I need a whole new exhaust pipe front to back! (not including muffler I think)......... The cost = $275 + tax = $308.

This is more than I have, and not what I want to spend even if I had it, lol. Does anyone have any cheap solutions, or a spare exhaust system laying around? I would be willing to pay some for it, but I dont have much.

If not, what would you suggest?

Thanks all,

Daryll

get this then have the shop make the rest of it if its truly needing to be replaced

88 festiva lx, 2.3 turbo rwd swap in progress
    1999.5 f-350 4x4 7.3 gtp38r 5" exhaust ect.
    R.i.p. 1990 Western Star 5964s 3406b 530whp (4.2mpg!)
    00' western star flat top ex, 600hp 6nz 2250tq, 18918b, 3.55, full lockers, 6" straight pipes
    03' gt, full termi swap 700+ whp build

sponsered by,
    pam pam's junk, dayton OR.
    Bob's ok tires, salem OR.
    Clausen Truckin', keizer OR.

Comment

Wow $308 for everything... Much better than the $860 I was quoted. LOL!! I replaced the downpipe for $90 and it's 90% better. Just a small hole after the cat now.
      Buck.
      -1993 Ford Festiva GL, ~200k, B6, Aspire rear, Rio front, 5-speed. '87 Prelude alloys. Happy to be back on the route!!!
      -1999 Toyota Sienna XLE, 346,000
      -1996 Chevrolet K1500 Z71, 350 V8, 198k, hauler

Comment

Darlo, I have local napa and lordco hook ups. PM'd.

-Scott
        Aqua 93 L
        Razor Red 09 F-150 XLT
        White 06 Ford Escape XLT

Comment

i had a full 2" headder back exhaust made for 120$ with no muffler.

88 festiva lx, 2.3 turbo rwd swap in progress
          1999.5 f-350 4x4 7.3 gtp38r 5" exhaust ect.
          R.i.p. 1990 Western Star 5964s 3406b 530whp (4.2mpg!)
          00' western star flat top ex, 600hp 6nz 2250tq, 18918b, 3.55, full lockers, 6" straight pipes
          03' gt, full termi swap 700+ whp build

sponsered by,
          pam pam's junk, dayton OR.
          Bob's ok tires, salem OR.
          Clausen Truckin', keizer OR.

Comment

2 door aspires are direct fit as well. I'd start looking for someone parting out a car and get a good used exhaust system. that stinks dude. is it a hole? or is it really bad the whole way through?

mine is leaking at the DT and manifold gasket because one stud is missing the nut and one is stuck about halfway down and then there's one nut holding it partway closed...PITA! I got a die on the one that is holding it closed the most but I can't get that die started on the other stud so I can remove the nuts without messing up the studs. if I do mess them up oh well I'll drill out the studs and buy 3 more bolts, lock washers and nuts for a buck

but from the cat back it's a 2 door aspire exhaust.
            Walth

Festiva #1: 91 Red L 4/5
            http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=27981

Comment

I pm'ed you back leapin....

I am going to find out tomorrow exactly what it needs from another place and then I am hoping to find the cheapest way to go.......

I like the idea of just using one from another car (aspire festiva etc) I am sure Pick-a-part is cheap for that......Would I just hack saw it off? Or can I even get a hack saw up in there?

I will post an update tomorrow after I find out more....

Comment

well, idk how canada is but Virginia is not allowed to sell catalitic converters and usually they sabersaw the exhaust to where it's not worth using. it ruins the down tube and ruins the long part of the exhaust. so manifolds and exhausts are pretty much all you can buy here

BUT hopefully that is not your situation. Hopefully if you go to a yard you'll be able to buy the whole thing. and I wouldn't cut any of it! just take it apart at the downtube and cat (2 14mm/17mm??) and keep the springs there and well, just get the hole thing. mani to exhaust tip. there are rubber grommets that slid over posts that hold the exhaust on. I'd try to get those with it in case yours are old but it doesn't really matter. there's enough on there to hold it in place, lol
                Walth

Comment

piece of sheet meal and a couple clamps to cover the hole
                  Canadian Tire sells the pipe performed, or did when I got mine replaced.
                  I'd also try NAPPA who have some outlets in Canada.
                  I've found their prices lower than Cdn Tire.
                  I avoid muffler shops like Speedy and Midas.
                  The backet on my car at the gas tank rusted away so I wired it up there.
                  Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Just take a dremel rust grinding bit and grind the loose rust off. Then get rustoleum spraypaint in any color and put 2 coats on the area of the pipe that had rust on it, so it won't rust again. After that, take muffler tape/ duct tape and cover the hole tightly, then take some sheet aluminum and wrap it around the pipe. Clamp that on with 2 pipe brackets- one on each side of the rust hole at least 1 inch away. Then take muffler tape and seal the seams in the sheet metal overlay.

Works great, and it only takes a few hours. The paint step can be skipped, but it helps to stop returning rust, so I'd recommend it. Just wait a few hours for it to dry, and do thin coats.

Edit- forgot to mention that this will only work for a short time. (around 2000 miles, MAX.)

After that, it will leak a bit still.

For a more permanent fix, take some thin sheet steel and bend it to the curve of your exhaust pipe. Then cut out a rectangle that's about 1" bigger than the hole on all sides, clamp it on, and lay an arc weld around it on all edges. Paint this with rustoleum after its welded just to be safe. This is what I would do, as scrap steel is CHEAP.

Edit 2- see what I mean by cheap?
                    Last edited by Basement_Modder; 04-05-2011, 12:42 PM.
                    1990 White L-Plus 5-speed rust-machine
                    Scrapped

1991 Blue L 5-speed
                    daily driver, intermittent project

1993 rustless wonder
                    A shell, awaiting suspension, brakes, and B6T

Comment

*UPDATE*

So I just got back from getting it looked at again to find out what I need, and I basically need the whole intermediate pipe from the cat to the muffler! I saw it myself this time and it is indeed pretty bad (back half mainly)......

I did make a call just now, and got a price of $115+tax for the pipe itself, so that is better than my previous best price of $160+tax......but still more than I have to spend (also I would have to get it installed by someone too for big $$$)

I am going to call around at the wreckers around here and get a price on a used one......

Comment

Originally posted by Darlo View Post
                        I am going to call around at the wreckers around here and get a price on a used one......
                        ^^exactly. I wish you well!! I wonder how much different the 4 door aspire is than the 2 door as far as the exhaust goes...the cars are only 3 inches longer and I doubt that'd make much of a difference. I'd check into that as well if I were you. just a thought.

you could also check 323 hatches...idk tho
                        Walth

Comment

I bought a 10 foot length of 1 1/2 inch EMT electrical conduit at Lowes for around $15 last summer. That and a few hours with chopsaw and mig and I had an exhaust. Takes lot time getting the "curves" just right to go around gas tank so you dont rub against anything and so you dont restrict the exhaust. Dont want sharp angles. Reused old muffler which was probably a mistake. Can get new universal one off Amazon for $25 shipped or so. Or could last I looked while back. Metal prices are crazy.

Anyway short of lucking into free scrap to piece together an exhaust, this is as cheap as I found. By way if you want preformed pieces, Rockauto.com carries them. JCWhitney carries the bulk stainless flex tubing. Or did the last I knew. It will work and easy to form. I never particularly liked the stuff but its an option.

Comment

Working...
                          X