New Festiva owner looking for Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Festiva owner looking for Help

Let me start by saying I recently purchased a 1993 GL. A neighbor was looking to move it and I snatched it up. She's not pretty but actually drives darn well. And now the work begins and I am glad I found this site. I will give a little history of my Festiva trek since buying the car and appreciate any help I can get. Sorry this may get a little lengthy but want to give a full out on my issues so I can get better input. Already found a lot of great information on here.

Not sure if I got a great deal on the car or not but after some research on prices and number crunching on normal replacement parts that would likely be needed, figured worth it with gas prices rising.

On my first drive, noticed severe shaking around 60 to 65 mph. New tires and problem solved. Took in to check alignment and said would need $400 worth of parts in control arm and ball joint. Found both control arms, all tie rod ends, ball joints (new) on ebay for $80. I can change out myself.

Runs well but gave the old girl the normal workover, oil change, new pcv valve, new valve cover gasket, fuel filter, air filter, oil filter, spark plugs and wires. Bought most of the parts from Auto Zone. Started up and ran like a top, even better than before. Took it out for a drive and what a difference. More snap and power, better idle etc. Before all of this ran a little b12 through the gas.

Within two days, however, it started to burn oil like crazy, smoking like a chimney and began stalling when coming to an idle. Not sure if something messed up with engine or if tranny is pulling it down too much. Note it idles and runs better cold than after warmed up. Drives great at highway speeds with plenty of power. Not getting getting any better. On first oil change used 5w-30 as recommended but changed oil and filter again with 10w-30 to see if that helped the oil burning.

Tried adding engine restore to oil and at first it seemed to help and oil isn't blowing through like before but need to add about 1/2 to 1 qt every day or two.

Noticed engine coolant not holding up and just kept adding as need. Think a slight leak on bypass hose. Picked up new thermostat, hoses, timing belt and pump but haven't changed out yet.

Engine coolant a little low but left it. Not burning oil as much and not smoking as much. hmm. Thinking maybe I should have left everything as was when I got it although spark plugs were shelled and everything replaced so far pretty basic. Idle remains rough, tried slight adjustments to idle to no avail.

Did notice the top timing belt cover is now cracked and bulged out a bit. Picked up another from a junk yard, not dug into that whole project yet.

Well guys, with that short novel, what's next? Note that did see thread on thermostats and trying to get O reily's to order me one but they don't understand the difference with the part number I gave them. Hope helps me with my heat or lack of problem but summer approaching after this harsh Minnesota winter behind us.

Please help. Again, sorry about the length of this thread.

Please tell us how many miles on the odometer?

Comment

125,000 or so and should add that it is an automatic, has A/C but not sure if it is working.
      Last edited by stjmnsota; 04-05-2011, 09:28 PM.

Comment

Welcome to FF.com
        Have had 5 Festivas over the last 21 years (one bought new).
        I pretty much did all the things you did above when I bought the used ones.

Had 1 with a cracked head. Had valve job done on spare head and replaced, It ran OK but still burned (and leaked) oil. That was the only automatic that I ever owned. It had about 140,000 on it when I bought it out of a junk yard (paid $225 for it).
        I ended up giving it to my sister and she drove it a while (adding oil occasionally) and then sold it for $700.
        Paid $400 for one, did valve job on it at 230,000 and go another 20,000 out of it, sold it on ebay for $725.
        125,000 is pretty low miles and if it was well maintained, it should not be smoking.
        Have never done ring or main bearings on one, so others here will need to advise you on that.
        The best money I ever spent on my Festiva's was buying new motors from Festiva Motorsport. (Paid about $1500 when I bought mine.).
        Others should be jumping in here to provide you with more information that will help you.

Comment

might wanna do a compression check, if compression is fine then most likley the valve guide seals are old and crusty and letting oil into the cylinders via the valve stem. thats where i would start. if the compression is bad (im guessing it is and is most likley a headgasket if its using water and oil) then i would pull the head and have it sent to be looked at. or just get a donor car/ engine, easy upgrade just get a b6 it will help with the slushbox automatic power killer!

btw welcome to the site and we would all like to see some pics im sure!

88 festiva lx, 2.3 turbo rwd swap in progress
          1999.5 f-350 4x4 7.3 gtp38r 5" exhaust ect.
          R.i.p. 1990 Western Star 5964s 3406b 530whp (4.2mpg!)
          00' western star flat top ex, 600hp 6nz 2250tq, 18918b, 3.55, full lockers, 6" straight pipes
          03' gt, full termi swap 700+ whp build

sponsered by,
          pam pam's junk, dayton OR.
          Bob's ok tires, salem OR.
          Clausen Truckin', keizer OR.

Comment

thanks for the input. This weekend I plan to start by checking compression then go from there. Just seems kind of odd that this thing may need so much work when I hear guys out there with a lot more miles on it. Of course as I was going through the engine, the plugs look like they were never changed out and the valve cover gasket leaked like crazy. I assume the guy just didn't give the car much attention.

Figured by giving it some TLC that I "cleaned" up some things and started knocking crap loose kind of thing. As nice as this car drives, I don't have a problem switching out engines but how much is too much? New engine would add another $1600 to the total inputs. would need have around $3000 in the car after purchase, engine, tires and other misc. parts. But then when i look around, these Festivas are selling at a premium right now and would be in the ball park.

Is it possible that something needs to be adjusted with the tranny? Runs very well other than coming to a stop. Acts like the tranny isn't "kicking out" and killing the engine.

So if I do need a new engine and a B6 swap is mentioned, would this be as easy as swapping for a matching B3? i.e. will match up with existing tranny and other?

Comment

hey where in MN are you? I'm about 30 miles west of St. Cloud! I could help you with a B6 swap if you'd like if you are close by. It will match up to your tranny, and most everything.
              -Josh R

Comment

go to a junk yard and roam around in the mazda section. look fo older 323 mazdas that have a 1.6 and ask what engines they have in stock. you should be able to get one with around 120,000 miles for about 300$, its worht it! completley worth it! u might loose 1-2 mpg at most but u willl gain a gob of power!

00' western star flat top ex, 600hp 6nz 2250tq, 18918b, 3.55, full lockers, 6" straight pipes

sponsered by,

Comment

Welcome to the site! I ask that you don't consider resale value when you decide what repairs or modifications you do to your Festiva. My view is, if you spend less than $3,000 for a car, the closer you get to the $0 purchase mark the more you will make up in repairs and you will again see yourself reaching that $3K mark. Others have had other experiences, but I consider this a rule when buying any vehicle. Proof in point, I bought my 88 Festiva for $1600 with 88K on the clock, and quickly spent almost that exact amount to bring the car to a condition I was satisfied with (Aspire swap with all new parts or fully reconditioned used parts, new steering wheel & hub, 5 wheels & 4 tires, studs & nuts, distributor, fuel pump, spark plugs, air filter, PCV, CD player and powered sub, and I'm not done yet!) and that was for parts alone. That being said, my expectations are through the roof... I will own this car until I can no longer drive it. The Festiva is indeed a hard vehicle to kill. I agree that a B6 engine would be a good upgrade, and with 40 more HP, I believe it would be what that automatic needs to wake it up some. If you can drive a stick and find a B6 with a manual trans, yank that out and put it in your car. It's a much better feeling, having that shifter in your hand.
                  In love with a MadScientist!:thumbright:
                  There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

Welcome to the addiction home slice. Hope you got the desire cause these cars can be beautiful with the right" artist"

Comment

Originally posted by DriverOne View Post
                      I agree that a B6 engine would be a good upgrade, and with 40 more HP
                      Actually the B6 single cam (there is a twin cam as well but harder to find and install) is only 19 more horseys. Still makes a big difference in power. If the compression is bad and you're looking for a new motor anyway then it would make sense to go that route since they are about as available, sometimes more available, as replacement festiva engines, and since there's roughly the same amount of work involved, why not get a 30% bump in power while still maintaining ~40MPGs
                      No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

Let's not turn this into a dispute over how much power the b6 and b3 make, but you will be happy with the power that you gain from swapping in a b6 abd its the same amout of work as doing a b3 so it only makes sense!

Assuming that your engine is toasted. Have u done the compression test yet?

sponsered by,

Comment

Agree totally about the B6 swap if you plan to keep the automatic.
                          It's a little more complicated than switching in new 1.3 engine but sounds like
                          you have an offer of assistance nearby...the switch to a 5 speed is a little more work too.
                          I took the new engine route knowing it was a bird in the hand and I didn't have the B6 swith help at the time...and having put 3 new engines in 3 different Festivas, I have not been disappointed (none were automatic).

We should be passing thru St. Cloud on the 27th on I94 in Old Yeller (1990 Yellow Festiva) on our way to Fargo. We are leaving Charleston on the 24th and will be staying in Louisville, KY, and Madison, WI on the way. Right now we have reservation for the 26th in Plymouth (outskirts of Minneapolis). I will be adding a thread with pictures as soon as we leave to log our long trip in Old Yeller.

Comment

Thanks for all of the input. I plan to check the compression tomorrow. Will let you know how it turns out. I like the idea of swapping in B6 with manual tanny but we will see how much work I need to do to this engine first. Then make that part of the next project. Already doing some looking for that type of upgrade though.

I have no problem putting some time and money into this car, I can tell already this thing will last a long time and is fun to work on.

Comment

ok guys the results are in on the compression test

cylinder #1 #2 #3 #4
                              test 1 124 psi 109 73 101
                              test 2 with oil 149 135 85 121
                              test 3 with more oil 190 180 120 155
                              test 4 just to be sure w oil 120

test 2 with about 3 squirts of oil, test 3 with another 3 squirts of oil, test 4 on cyliner 3 only with 3 more squirts of oil.

Compression climbed well with each stroke, first stroke rose some then climbed on each cylinder.

when I pulled the spark plugs, 1,2,4 each dry with brownish/tannish deposits (could be from oil additive??? Plug 3 wet with black deposit, heavier and harder to clean off.

What's the diagnosis? definitely seems like a ring problem, maybe head gasket as their is a variance between cylinders. But what do you think?

Comment

Working...
                              X