Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Coolant Leak @ Bypass Pipe Line right of water pump (o-ring / oring)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coolant Leak @ Bypass Pipe Line right of water pump (o-ring / oring)

What size O-ring do I use for the pressure fit pipe? I tried to best match with what I had in there...but there were 2 o-rings so I put 2 back on the pipe. does anyone have a size for the one that comes with the water pumps?

before I had a drip every couple of minutes or so, but leaking. Now, it's pouring out just about as fast as I was putting coolant in. lol. Going to loosen my upgrade aspire manifold and start again.
    Walth

Festiva #1: 91 Red L 4/5
    http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=27981

well, I'm going to just deal with it for a while. I do want to source some o-rings if anyone still has theirs available in new condition. I'll post a WTB soon.

I put the old ones back in and they are a good bit thicker than the new ones I was using. oh well.

I also remembered I put the mount to the pipe on wrong (inside the manifold). fixed.
    Walth

Comment

If you take the old ones to Napa they should have a HUGE assortment that you can use to find the right one. Most of the other McParts stores don't, but Napa does. The new ones will be a hair bigger than the old ones because they haven't been compressed and baked by hot coolant for years.
      No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

My WP only came with one fat O ring. Before I discovered the one in the WP box I was going to use a couple of HF O rings, which were thinner and two didn't fit as well.

Like H says, try NAPA.

Karl
        '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
        '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
        '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
        '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
        '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

well for whatever reason it isn't leaking, not even dripping but I'll give it some time. I will try to run by napa sometime soon and use the new ones but try to find some that have smaller ID's and are a bit more robust.

I'll update in a few days. thanks for the ideas

edit>> oh yeah, Karl, I was trying to use 3 of the small ones I had on there but the one squinched up in the middle kept getting jammed or forced out of it's rut. besides, I couldn't get the o-rings past the hump in the bypass line. I even had a rubber mallet trying to knock em in. lol
          Last edited by walth; 04-06-2011, 03:05 PM.
          Walth

Comment

Went to Ford today to get this o-ring, and the paper gasket for the inlet pipe to water pump, and the o-ring for the disty shaft. All discontinued. This was for my Aspire.

To NAPA I shall go....
            Last edited by TominMO; 04-07-2011, 07:54 AM.
            90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
            09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

I only asked on here cuz rockauto didn't show any o-rings or bypass tags in the cooling section. and I'm not about to buy a water pump for an o-ring...or in your case, a disty for an o-ring. lol.

let me know if you find a particular part number for the bypass o-ring so it's posted earlier than when I can get there.
              Walth

Comment

You can try putting a healthy bead of Permatex Right Stuff around the old one and a some in the housing where it slides in. I haven't seen much it wouldn't seal. That stuff is awesome
                If a hammer doesn't fix it you have an electrical problem

WWZD
                Zulu Ministries

Comment

Originally posted by Zanzer View Post
                  You can try putting a healthy bead of Permatex Right Stuff around the old one and a some in the housing where it slides in. I haven't seen much it wouldn't seal. That stuff is awesome
                  I was thinking along these lines too. Today I went to a Ford dealer and three parts stores: NAPA, Carquest and Advance Auto. None of them had an o-ring that would work.

I was able to find the gasket that fits between the water pump and the inlet housing. It's the one that's held on by two bolts. It looks like a slightly smaller thermostat housing gasket. Here are the part #s:
                  NAPA........35286
                  Carquest...CTH 20717

The other thing I needed was the distributor shaft o-ring:
                  NAPA........72222
                  Carquest...72222....yes, same part # as above
                  Advance...64222....this one might be a little thin, I'm not sure. Advance had a smaller selection too.
                  Last edited by TominMO; 04-07-2011, 06:52 PM.
                  90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

does anyone know if the ford aspire has the bypass o-ring? or if it's just a continuous tube (what I want!). if so, I'll be headed to the JY in the morning to snag the one off the 97 auto
                    Walth

Comment

The Aspire does have the bypass tube o-ring. My post #9 was actually all about Aspires, but the Festys are (presumably) the same.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

sorry tom... guess I won't be making that a swap. Have you ever looked into any other b-series coolant hard lines to see if there's a non-o-ring style?
                        Walth

Comment

Yeah the mazda B6 is set up the exact same way.
                          97 Aspire w/K03 turbocharged b6 SOHC
                          CoolingMist Varicool II Meth injection
                          Phantom gripped and cryo'ed 5 speed

Comment

Working...
                          X