Tranny HELP...PLEASE!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tranny HELP...PLEASE!

Can anyone PLEASE tell me how to differentiate between 4 and 5 speed transmissions! I am having a hard time finding a 5 speed from junk yards. I am on the 3rd transmission and they have all been 4 speeds. The last transmission (which is in the car now) was manufactured 12/89. I was told it was a 5 speed, but when I installed it I quickly found NO 5th gear.
    88 FESTIVA LX
    SOUTH GEORGIA

My car MFG. Date 09/12/89 it is a 90 and it is a 5 speed , I don't have any pics of a trans , or know the physical outside difference.
    You also know 90 thru 93 manuals were 5 speeds .
    88-89 manuals were 4 speed
    ------------------------------------------------
    The Trigger - Midwest Festiva Inc., Illinois Chapter
    Smart Passion white with H-D interior
    HD2500 Duramax Chevy
    Harley Davidson Ultra classic ..I am in love !!
    Pro Street S-10 http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214968
    Diamond white Deville 27,000 mile cream puff
    Z28 LS1 power 500 +
    90 Festy L daily driver wants to be modded, OK
    It is being modded , a little at a time http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214953

Join me on Facebook !! ;http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...00000295094896

Comment

I've got one of each sitting on my bench just now. There is no difference in the case. They're both covered with grime, so I haven't looked for any differentiating stamps yet. I just checked at the yard by pushing in the clutch and shifting, but I was lucky enough to find a Festy that just came in.

I'll let you know if I find any differences, but so far - they look identical.
      jeff

Comment

tranny HELL

Thanks Jeff, sounds great! This is the KICKER...I have an 88 model Festiva. The transmission that was in it was a 5 speed. The transmission that I just purchased was manufactured in 12/89 (which I assume would be a 90 model) it is a 4 speed??? I do not understand!
        88 FESTIVA LX
        SOUTH GEORGIA

Comment

No, that doesn't make sense. Should have been all 90 models by then, which would have been all 5-speeds.

Depending where you are located, there is a 5-speed for sale in the For Sale Furom (Brokefestiva).

I just paid $125 for a 5-speed last Friday, but it came with a whole Festiva attached, so not such a bad deal.

Comment

WOW!

That sounds like a GREAT deal. I just paid $275 for the transmission that was suppose to be a 5 speed!! How did you find that steal? If you get a chance I would like to know if there are any distinguishing marks between the 4 and 5 speed tranny.
            88 FESTIVA LX
            SOUTH GEORGIA

Comment

Too bad you dont live here in NM, at the U-Pull it the run about 125-150$ And the car rarely have a speck of rust, its so dog gone dry here. :? No rain in months, but the Festy are always in good shape. 5 speeds are easy to find. Salvage yards are my friend. Tranny usually go for about 125-150 if U pull it yourself, but its worth it.

Comment

Working...
              X