dash pot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dash pot

My 91 festy has this dash pot gizmo that the throttle linkage rests on........the one you are warned not to tamper with in the manual.......what motivates this thing and does it have anything to do with idle speed?.......when i start this car it screams on up to 2500 rpm before the oil is flowing, it's 85* here......motor sound is painful.........tried the idle adjustment screwplug thing, turned it all the way down and nothing changes.........
    any ideas?

you have a vac leak...

the dashpot is there to keep the throtle plate from slamming shut, it catched the throtle arm a few degrees before closing and slows it down before it hits the stop. this also allows the IAC to prep itself and keep the engine speed from dropping too far causing a stall.
    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

thank you, thank you..............
      ever hear the one about passing an open unlit propane torch over the running motor to locate a vac leak?
      I have already taken off the iac valve, taken it apart as much as possible, and cleaned it.....didn't help.........
      Last edited by denguy; 04-08-2011, 03:05 PM.

Comment

yeah, propane works, so does carb clean.

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),

Comment

I wouldn't use propane. A bad sparkplug wire could ruin your day/face!

Comment

that's why you always face the hot end AWAY from body parts, duh! lol

Comment

Working...
            X