91 motor+tranny into 88?? HELP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 91 motor+tranny into 88?? HELP

Im doing my motor swap right now, so far so good but there is a extra set of wires on the transmission where I believe the backup sensor is? There is only one in the 91 tranny but two plugs in my 88 tranny. Thanks

88 Festy L (The White Thunder)
    91 L came and gone, owned only 2 days

Okay here are some pics, oh and by the way that plug on the right is the one out of the new motor, it was cut when I got it.

And here's the new motor and tranny, it only has one plug?

Comment

one might be a 4speed? and the other a 5speed?
      93L sold. First FESTY!
      91L blue monster "BP swapped!" Robbed of its Heart for other Festy!
      91GL blue bandit(thanks to sparky) Sold twice! lol
      89L (thanks again to sparky) "SCRAPPED without my permission!!!!:nono:
      93L Clean Green Machine! (Thanks to Sedat)-Sold to other member!
      89 Auto LX Wrecked and stripped. violin
      93GL Sold Too Soon!
      91GL BP powered, ALL OPTIONS! banana time

Comment

They are, my 88 was a 4 speed and the new one is a 5 speed, but I dont know what the extra plug is for?

Comment

The upper one is the Reverse Light Switch And the lower right is the Park/Neutral Switch.

On my '90, THe wires are broken too, and the car runs fine without.

Comment

So the new tranny only has the reverse light switch on it? Thats all I need, If thats the case then why would my 88 have a park/neutral switch if its a 4-speed?

Comment

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i removed the sensor from the trans.........one wire was broke off where it enters the plastic housing and the other only had a few strands left holding it to the sensor so i cut them off flush to the plastic........i used about a 1/16" drill to go into the plastic right next to each of the 2 wire stubs that were showing, 3/8" deep......i had [2] 1" long stainless screws a little over 1/16" dia.,..........i screwed them into the holes where they meshed into the wire stubs, then cut the heads off with a dremel leaving 1/2" showing.........tested it with a multimeter which showed a closed circuit when i pushed in the button on the sensor........went to the harness and crimped on 2 pushon female connectors adjusted for a tight fit on the 2 screw ends..........hooked it all up and it works..........

Comment

Hook up

Originally posted by devon527 View Post
                So the new tranny only has the reverse light switch on it? Thats all I need, If thats the case then why would my 88 have a park/neutral switch if its a 4-speed?
                That is all I did. I think, the switch had a purpose in another car but is not used in the Festiva.

I put a rebuild '88 motor/ 5-sp manual into my '90 festiva [after swapping the fuel injection related items.

Comment

Okay cool thanks I appreciate all the help. Now im stuck, I planned on doing the whole motor swap this weekend but I was dumb and didnt think ahead to get a new intake gasket for the carb after I swapped it... Now I'm waiting till Tuesday just to get it So bummed

Comment

i never hooked mine up so i have no reverse lights but dosent bother me bc i live in town and never need them.

88 festiva lx, 2.3 turbo rwd swap in progress
                    1999.5 f-350 4x4 7.3 gtp38r 5" exhaust ect.
                    R.i.p. 1990 Western Star 5964s 3406b 530whp (4.2mpg!)
                    00' western star flat top ex, 600hp 6nz 2250tq, 18918b, 3.55, full lockers, 6" straight pipes
                    03' gt, full termi swap 700+ whp build

sponsered by,
                    pam pam's junk, dayton OR.
                    Bob's ok tires, salem OR.
                    Clausen Truckin', keizer OR.

Comment

Okay I have a new problem, when we pulled the motor and tranny out, my friend decided to just cut the passenger side CV axle boot right after it comes out of the tranny and now I cant get it to come out, any suggestions??

Comment

prybars one from the top one from the bottom, give an even firm pry

Comment

what a great friend you have there....
                          you need a prybar and posssibly a hammer (mini sledge)

try to pry the axle out at first, but if that doesn't work (and it often times doesn't) place the pry bar against the axle and then pop the SIDE of the bar with the hammer and that shoud get it out.
                          Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                          94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Do the prybar/hammer trick. Prying on the transmission housing could crack it. Put strain on that crack and there you have a shattered tranny. At 70mph? No thanks.
                            -Zack
                            Blue '93 GL Auto: White 13" 5 Point Wheels, Full LED Conversion, and an 8" Sub

Comment

Okay thanks guys, I will try tomorrow night after work, my dad said he might give it a try too. I appreciate all the help

Comment

Working...
                              X