Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SOS 88 Festiva

hi!

sorry to be a pita but i know very little about car repair..

a couple of years ago i inherited an 88 festiva LX 5 speed. i love my little clown car and it has served me well until the other morning it died on the way to work and will not start again. tried compression starting without any luck.

when i try to start it everything comes on. there is no click click sound, just sort of a grinding noise.

i read the how to align the timing belt thread and this could be the problem but i guess the smartest thing to do would be to get the trouble code since the check engine light is on. i found and read the thread Retrieving Trouble Codes from OBD I Systems but i don't know what a jumper wire is.

i am a single mom with limited funds and no guy around to fix it for me. i would really appreciate any help you guys could give me.

Where are you located? Someone close may be able to come check it out for you.
    The normal is not always normal... MOST is not ALL... And any job can be hard if you don't have the right tools!!!

My Fleet:
    89 L 4spd (Daily Driver(if it isn't broke down)) "Spanky"

Comment

Originally posted by doylerl View Post
      That^. Also, a jumper wire is just a small piece of wire bent into a "U" shape....even a paperclip would work
      "Lane, I've been going to this high school for seven and a half years. I'm no dummy."

Gone but never forgotten, "Hulkstiva"...http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ht=progression

Comment

Originally posted by doylerl View Post

i am in eastern washington.

Comment

Originally posted by lanemeyer14 View Post
          That^. Also, a jumper wire is just a small piece of wire bent into a "U" shape....even a paperclip would work

omg. seriously?

you mean like a regular ol paperclip?

lol. i have one of those

Comment

hey I'm in Western Washington, If you ever want to sell that thing let me know

88 Festy L (The White Thunder)
            91 L came and gone, owned only 2 days

Comment

Man, if I was lookin' for a carby festiva I would be throwin' cash over the mountains, but I need an FI festy for BP swap.
              Owner of:
              1991 Red Festiva L, 5 speed (Swagger Wagon)
              In progress:
              BP+G25MR swap, Kia rio axles hopefully.

Comment

Checking codes wont do much for ya, our cars aren't even obd-1.

If it sounds different cranking over, its prolly a bad timing belt.

Someone go help her out!
                91GL BP/F3A with boost
                13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

It's good pain. I use a piece of heavy copper wire with the insulation stripped of the ends. Just jam one end into the connector and the other into the top of the shock tower. Wiggle it around a bit so it's in good contact with bare metal.
                  Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Dang your festy looks good!!! Looking at your av. pic anyways. If I was close I'd help in a heartbeat, yo!
                    Buck.
                    -1993 Ford Festiva GL, ~200k, B6, Aspire rear, Rio front, 5-speed. '87 Prelude alloys. Happy to be back on the route!!!
                    -1999 Toyota Sienna XLE, 346,000
                    -1996 Chevrolet K1500 Z71, 350 V8, 198k, hauler

Comment

Yeah I wish I could help too but im always super busy and I'm actually doing a motor swap in my car right now

Comment

Originally posted by devon527 View Post
                        hey I'm in Western Washington, If you ever want to sell that thing let me know

hahahahahaha!

no way. i <3 my clown car.

but if you want to come fix it for me, let me know

Comment

Originally posted by luckycowgirl View Post
                          hahahahahaha!

no way. i <3 my clown car.

but if you want to come fix it for me, let me know
                          The thing is, If i fix it, I get the car I think thats a fair deal!

Comment

Originally posted by bhazard View Post
                            Checking codes wont do much for ya, our cars aren't even obd-1.

If it sounds different cranking over, its prolly a bad timing belt.

Someone go help her out!

oh. well crud.

this thread says the 88's were obd-1

http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=17417

and all the codes are here.

http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...=Trouble+Codes

so i'll go with your expertise.

this thread shows how to align the timing belt.

http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/showthread.php?t=210

does anyone know if there is a way to tell if the belt needs to be replaced or i do i just need to align it?

Comment

Originally posted by devon527 View Post
                              The thing is, If i fix it, I get the car I think thats a fair deal!

lol. and i think buying you dinner for fixing it would be fair

my ex stepfather bought the car new in 1988. he kept detailed records and the car was serviced regularly according to the guidelines in ford's general maintenance and record log.

the car is a gem. seriously. it has always gotten over 50mpg. it had 98,000 miles when i got it a year and a half ago and now it has 120,000. i really need to fix it.

i also have a 99 F350 with 7.3L turbo diesel that gets about 12mpg. on the highway, with a tail wind, on a good day. i only use it to pull my horse trailer and haul hay. right now, i can't afford to drive it at all with fuel prices so dang high.

Comment

Working...
                              X