Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'90 FI Fistiva NO IDLE but revs clean and drives fine... just will not idle... FIX!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '90 FI Fistiva NO IDLE but revs clean and drives fine... just will not idle... FIX!

Newbie here to the forum... (Can't really believe there IS one!)

Car had an off idle miss (and smelled rich at low RPM) since I bought it about a month ago... but once in a while it would rev clean.....

All of a sudden I pushed in the clutch to stop and the motor DIES?!? WTF... I paid a whole $480 for this sweet ride... THIS ISN'T OVER LITTLE CAR....
    Limped it home and checked the usual suspects...
    1. FPR vacuum line--- unpluged @ regulator-- NO FUEL LEAKING= Good diaphragm.
    2.Let cool down and started after spraying exhaust mani with water... All water evaporated evenly= firing on 4.

3. Remove airbox... NO FILTER!!!??? Hmmmmm... Somebody else has had an issue here and thought removing the filter helped... I said to myself... Stuck my finger into the air meter and.... WALLAH! IT WAS STUCK ALMOST HALFWAY OPEN... PROBLEM FOUND.

Removed from car and took off the 10 or so little "+" screws on the cover.. (Had to notch them with a cutoff disc and use a minus screwdriver as they were pretty snug.)
    Popped off cover and CLEANED ALL CRAP ON SHAFT WITH BRAKE CLEANER AND PB SPRAY and paper towels until it closed smoothly and completely. Sprayed everything out with carb cleaner and blew dry with airhose.

Put'er back together and it idles @ 650 rpm smoothly!
    (Before the dieing problem it was between 800-1200 and surged some...)

Hope this may help someone in the future!

FISTIVA POWER!
    Last edited by hoof hearted; 04-10-2011, 10:14 PM.
    1990 Fistiva L PLUS 41.7mpg
    2003 Mitsu Evo Bolt-ons, cams, IX turbo...
    tuned on 93. Real slow car...
    2002 1 ton 4wd 4 door Duramax/ Allison DUALLY... 14.3@92mph.... huh.

Dang, that some shady previous owner.
    91 Festiva BP Autocross/Track/Rallycross hopeful
    14 C7 Z51

Comment

Originally posted by Grey Vw View Post
      Dang, that some shady previous owner.
      For $480 I don't think he was trying to pull a fast one....
      And ultimately.... BUYER BEWARE.

If I bought a POS.... I bought a POS!
      My bad... lol. But I'm REALLY happy with the car...
      1990 Fistiva L PLUS 41.7mpg
      2003 Mitsu Evo Bolt-ons, cams, IX turbo...
      tuned on 93. Real slow car...
      2002 1 ton 4wd 4 door Duramax/ Allison DUALLY... 14.3@92mph.... huh.

Comment

Good lesson for those who think it's fine to run without a filter (if any of those people exist), hahaha.
        -Zack
        Blue '93 GL Auto: White 13" 5 Point Wheels, Full LED Conversion, and an 8" Sub

Comment

awesome fixing glad to hear of someone doing things right now you can work on all the other little tweaks all festys have lol
          93 L B6T DD http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=37751
          RIP_90 LuX http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=32249
          RIP 88 LX / B8-MEhttp://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=26398

RJ

Comment

Working...
          X