Surging under load

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mike McKown View Post
    I went throught he same thing with thermostat, timing, etc.On this paticluar car, it's not like yours though. Mine had many, many miles on it. Lot's of blowby. The air intake had a lot of oil in it, even running down into the air cleaner element.

Aside from the blowby, I found the baffles in the valve cover for the fresh air intake were plugged with sludge. So, I cleaned them out and the surge went away.

Before I did this, the car would experience intermittent periods of blowing blue smoke under load, spark knock and surging, as in your case. Now, all it does is just use oil. The exhaust smoke is gone, spark knock is gone and the surging is gone. Bottom line is the engine is worn out and needs a rebuild.
    Hmmmmmm what do you think cleaning the baffle's helped? Do you think the excessive back pressure was actually having a neg force on ur VAF? You did a simple fix that I prolly never would have thought of. And no Sea Foam? Hats of to you my friend !
    I lived in the heart of TX for @ 6 years. And I saw sooo many engines just gunked up inside like you described. I think cuz of the extreme heat & people not changing their oil. The stuff turns to rock hard carbon that I would have to break apart. I dont think even SEA FOAM could disolve it! But being in the midwest now. The build up is alot more "Gooey".
    Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
    Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
    Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

85,000 miles you shouldnt be having any issues.
      1988 Ford Festiva "Sonic" BPT g25mr MS2 standalone ecu, FOTY '11, Best Beater FMV, Fan Favorite FMVI

1989 Ford Mustang GT 5.slow

1996 Ford F-150

Comment

HERE ARE THE TEMPS AFTER A 40 MIN DRIVE. upr @ 165 deg lwr @ 100 deg.

Last edited by nitrofarm; 04-15-2011, 12:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by nitrofarm View Post
          Hmmmmmm what do you think cleaning the baffle's helped? Do you think the excessive back pressure was actually having a neg force on ur VAF? You did a simple fix that I prolly never would have thought of.
          I think what was happening was the oil in the air cleaner intake duct was slowly building up during moderate driving. Then, when you punch it a little, it started drawing that oil into the engine. The surging, smoking and spark knocking continued until I let off the gas or the excess oil was sucked on through.

As I pointed out, you shouldn't have an engine wear problem at your mileage if the mileage indicated is correct.

When you shoot that engine with the IR gun, I think the most accurate place is the thermostat bypass hose. That would indicate the actual temp of the coolant coming out of the engine.

Comment

I'd hook a fuel pressure gauge to the fuel rail, take a ride down the road and see what kind of pressure you are getting while the engine is surging.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike McKown View Post
              I'd hook a fuel pressure gauge to the fuel rail, take a ride down the road and see what kind of pressure you are getting while the engine is surging.

That is kinda what I was thinking after reading down thru this. I would start with a new fuel filter, some heat and drive it for a while. Then maybe just tweak the timing back to 8 or 9 and see if the fuel quality is a factor. Ethanol is not our friend. I have gotten moisture build up in the tank from Ethanol and after temp changes and time it will cause an issue. It may even need the sock cleaned or the fuel pump is getting weak.
              91 Festiva GL "Scrat"
              82 Honda Goldwing GL1100i
              85 BMW 535is "Brunhild"

Comment

Originally posted by Tom View Post
                Put in a YELLOW bottle of HEET, not the red one. Moisture is like small B B's like you shoot in a gun. Actually smaller than that, more like the smallest of round steel bearings. About ten or twenty of to one BB. They can't pass through the jets when more gas is called for and bounce all around the fuel system causing countless havoc. The YELLOW bottle of HEET will go find and dissolve and neutralize these obstructions. Both summer and winter.
                Well Tom looks like you might be on to something. I dont why Pu21 jumped you so bad, but its all good. I'll prolly try both Red & Yellow HEET (drink double fisted!) Then change my fuel filter.But before I do anything I'm gonna put in a "NEW/CORRECT thermostate. Check the fuel pressure. Then see what it does. Maybe I have a bad regulator/leaking vaccum line @ the FP regulator?
                I'll keep you guys posted- Thanks for all the help. Thomas
                Last edited by nitrofarm; 04-15-2011, 01:32 PM.

Comment

Nitfarm, "Pu21 jumped him so bad" because he's providing incorrect information!

Not that using a water removing agent isn't a useful tool, but that he has no idea of what either the "red" or "yellow" bottles actually are or how they work.

Not to mention he obviously has no idea how moisture in fuel behaves.

It is a tool that has it place, but it seems this is the only tool he has.
                  Take a look at his previous posts and see how many times he makes this same recommendation.
                  As the old saying goes "even a broken watch shows the correct time twice a day!"

Of course we are talking about a person who managed to lose the keys to his car.
                  '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
                  '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
                  '92 Aqua parts Car
                  '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
                  '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
                  Your holy ghost will not save you.
                  Your God plutonium will not save you.
                  In fact...
                  ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

^ LOL I did like the BB HAVOC thing. Sometimes you jus gotta laugh. But I knew he meant well. But I also didn't know that it was the only tool in his box. That he lost his keys too...

Comment

Originally posted by nitrofarm View Post
                      ^ LOL I did like the BB HAVOC thing. Sometimes you jus gotta laugh. But I knew he meant well. But I also didn't know that it was the only tool in his box. That he lost his keys too...
                      Yeah, but we've had too many "funny" people lately provide less than useful info to people who may not know enough not to take their advise.
                      True a "0.99 bottle" of water remover isn't likely to hurt anything, and I question the price, but it is causing people to waste their time. Diagnose then repair/replace as needed.

Just pull up his previous posts, they are somewhat entertaining I have to admit.
                      '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
                      '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
                      '92 Aqua parts Car
                      '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
                      '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
                      Your holy ghost will not save you.
                      Your God plutonium will not save you.
                      In fact...
                      ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Working...
                      X