Front end shake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front end shake

I rebuilt the front suspension: all bushings, struts,rack, new tires on 13" wheels, CAs, ball joints. I still get shaking wheels at 55+. Any ideas on what could be causing this?

I would guess the tire balance wrong, bent wheel, or over torqued wheel bolts/nuts.
    Hotrod Forums Directory * D&D Discbrakes 61-67 Econoline Conversions
    1988 Festy - white 5spd 1.3 * 1992 Festy - red 5spd 1.3 * 1963 Econoline 5 window pu * 1993 Dodge W250 5.9 Cummings * 94 Mustang

Comment

Yeah, tire balance usually comes in at 55 and goes away at 62 ish. Balance and alignment

Comment

How about wheel bearings, 250K miles.?

Comment

Originally posted by villageidiot View Post
          Balance and alignment
          ^what he said. Definitely an alignment though. Think about ALL of the new or different parts you replaced that may be adjusted differently, tightened differently, made differently, or may be bent or whatever. Put any one of these items on a car with a perfect alignment and you have a car with a not so perfect alignment. The most an alignment will immediately affect is tire wear and mpg. But it can also be very dangerous if it is way out.

Sounds like your "noticable" problem is tire balance. I would have both checked and fixed.
          -Bryant

Comment

^ YES, what he said (all of it).
            Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
            94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

It could also be out-of-round tires. Balancing will help but not much. Hopefully it's not that.
              Oscar

Comment

In regard to wheel bearings, yes its possible, but you'd probably experience the problem all the time

Change front and rear wheel bearings just because they're old, unless you know they were done previously and buy good brand bearings, not china garbage

Comment

Usual adivce is inflate and rotate tires first to see if that alters symptoms.
                  Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Originally posted by denguy View Post
                    I rebuilt the front suspension: all bushings, struts,rack, new tires on 13" wheels, CAs, ball joints. I still get shaking wheels at 55+. Any ideas on what could be causing this?
                    You left out some vitals.....You say still get shake but you didnt say if you balanced the new tires? So what your saying is that you HAD a shake @ 55 that went away after 65 mph right? And NOW after balancing your NEW tires you get the exact same shake @ the exact same MPH?

Is it vibrating in the steering wheel. Or is coming through the seat? Steering wheel= Front end. Seat=rear end. When you figure this out after a simple test drives on smooth road at the speed it happens. Then jack up car and turn the suspected tire around by hand. Look for an obviuous OOR tire or shifted belt (tire tread zig zaging). If you cant see anything obvious wrong with any of your tires. Check the balance one more time. If the spin balance shows that they are good. Its not the wheels or tires. Move on to a Rotor,Drum or bearing. It has nothing to do with alignmant as stated earlier. Good luck. Some times these vibrations can be real ticky. But try to "feel" the problem .(Driveit at the speed it happens on smooth road )Is it coming through my steering wheel? Or is it it in my Butt?
                    Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
                    Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
                    Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

I have seen quite a few cars shake at all speeds due to alignment issues. Yes the problem does sound tire but still could be in the numbers too.
                      -Bryant

Comment

Originally posted by Gomez View Post
                        I have seen quite a few cars shake at all speeds due to alignment issues. Yes the problem does sound tire but still could be in the numbers too.
                        Toe in or Toe out cant make it shake Boss.
                        Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
                        Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
                        Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

Working...
                        X