2?'s on front axle replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2?'s on front axle replacement

Read Haynes manual description of procedure and have 2 questions about saving time...

1. What needs to be unbolted on the control arm? I've replaced the control arms before and know the wheel has to be raised off the ball joint to allow it to be pulled outward. What's the least that has to be undone?

2. If only the one side of the car is raised will that keep the transmission fluid from running out when the axle is removed, thus saving having to remove the speedometer cable later to top up the transmission? Has anyone replaced an axle by just jacking up one side and using one jack stand?

Thanks.
    Colour me lazy, no wait, make that efficient.
    Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

the LEAST that needs done (with a little fenagling) is the strut bolts to the knuckle and the axle bolt, you should be able to flex things about to remove the axle stub.

you're still gonna haver fluid loss no matter what, so be prepared
    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

I just did some and i just dro........damn, i forgot what i did.

Comment

hehehehe, senior moment?

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),

Comment

axle and strut bolts, wiggle it out of there by holding you tongue just to the right side of your lips and out just a little bit.

Comment

^ that's the trick!!! (and little known secret)

now i have to kill you for letting it out and HIM for knowing vital information LOL

Comment

control arm popped out and axle nut is all that needs to be undone....have done it numerous times.
              "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
              89L Silver EFI auto
              91GL Green Auto DD
              There ain't no rest for the wicked
              until we close our eyes for good.
              I will sleep when I die!
              I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

Working...
              X