Stuck Throttle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stuck Throttle?

Ok so gonna make this short since I'm on my crappy phone. Got on highway & when passing gear kicked down merging the throttle never really dropped back down. I say really because it doesn't idle to high in gear (does feel like it still wants to go at a stop still tho) but in park or nuetral it screams like a pegged 1.3 banshee Tried to see if cable was stuck on FI throttle body but it moves freely & goes from screaming idle to ludicrous speed I'm stumped & afraid I'm gonna blow motor on ride home from BWs any help is apreciated
    Send An Invite If Ya Want

1991 Ford Festiva GL- Auto

visually check the throtle plate and then look for very obvious HUGE vac leaks
    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Ok I can check vac leaks but what/where is the throttle plate exactly & what do I look 4? Thanks 4 the help dude :thumbright:

Comment

Didn't see any leaks & looked around throttle body & didn't see anything out of ordinary but made it home safe. Time to get ready 4 work the Festy will stay parked till have days off on Thursday to get better look at it.

Comment

Ok went out to look at the Festy to see if I could find out why it's idle is so high in park or neutral. Still can't see any vacuum leaks but did notice the bracket on firewall that holds some kind of sensor & a vacuum line off it is loose an wiggles a little (Lines/sensor aren't loose just the whole bracket. Looks like a bolt is rusty & might have broken). Don't think the bracket is my problem but plan on securing it better. I did notice that the adjustment screw below the throttle cable has a gap between it & the arm attached to the throttle spring/cable. So it isn't resting on this screw at an idle. Could this be my problem? I figure the gap gets wider as you put tension on the cable & the idle goes up as you pull away from this screw. So does this gap mean it's not resting at the true place of idle? I have attached pics to hopefully shed some light on this. Any 2cents on if I'm on the right trail w/ this gap & if so how to fix it would be appreciated.
          Last edited by SuperDaveGulvak; 04-15-2011, 09:32 AM.

Comment

Pics to reference the gaps width using a washer I had.

Comment

With it running try to manually close the throttle plate by hand. If you can close it alittle and it idles down the your throttle cable is out of adjustment.
              89L build thread http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=36422

1996 subaru impreza AWD 5 speed, EJ18

Post your festiva pics and vids here: www.movingviolationz.com
              My site: 20tessa.sytes.net

Comment

Thanks dude I tried to see if I could close the gap & get it to rest on screw by hand but it won't close the gap even if I try to push it shut- I'll try again when I go out to switch laundry loads maybe put a little more elbow grease in it this time. Could there be something binding somewhere I should check? I can't see anything but maybe I'm not looking in right place?

Comment

Might need to clean the ISC motor. sometimes after years and years of running they tend to get a residue build up and the spring gets stuck. Brake cleaner and a tooth brush with work wonders on that.
                  Last edited by 91_festy_Gl; 04-15-2011, 11:46 AM.

Comment

Quick check for whether its a throttle cable problem or something else is just unhook the cable from the throttle body. Then crank the car. If the idle is fine and you can manually rev the motor using the lever on the throttle body (without the cable hooked up) then the problem is the cable too tight or binding. If that fixes nothing then 91 festy gl's post above would be the next thing I'd try.
                    No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

Well I got anxious and wanted to see if I could get this thing to idle happy today so I don't have to worry about getting to work this week so I turned a bolt thingy & got the gap to close The idle is fine now but would like to know if what I tinkered w/ will have any other ill effects- it made my puddle hop test just fine tho The reason I ask is because the Haynes manual mentions to ground a test wire before adjusting the idle screw- well my car looks different than pic so I figured I'd try what seemed to make sense/look fesable w/out grounding said wire. I have attached 2 pics- 1 of the gap closed (You can see the adjustment bolt just to the right. I turned it down to get it to close the gap) & 1 top shot of the odd button looking thing the adjustment bolt I tinkered w/ is below. What is the ISC motor tho for future reference? Also sorry for the unofficial terms of thingys but not sure what they are called & not named in the Haynes so hence the technical term of thingy :tongue3: Thanks for the help guys :thumbright:
                      Last edited by SuperDaveGulvak; 04-15-2011, 12:37 PM.

Comment

ISC stands for Idle Speed Control. Its a sensor that controls idle speed.

Comment

Swwwwweeeeeet thanks dude was able to find it in Haynes So it looks like I adjusted the dashpot adjusting screw according to pic. So it looks like I'm missing a locknut on the bottom of my adjustment screw- kinda thought it was odd as the screw was very loose. So it doesn't really say what this dashpot does tho. Is it bad that I adjusted it to fix idle & do you think I should get a lock nut for it?

Comment

No its not bad to fix the idle that way. Id get another lock nut for it if thats what is suppost to be there.

Comment

Cool I plan on getting a tach from McParts store & hooking it up w/ next check so I can see proper RPM's to make sure idle is where it's supposed to be. Will grab a lock nut when I go to work 2maro at the Depot Thanks again for the help guys!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X