shipped wrong axle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shipped wrong axle?

The front axle I received by parcel post (UPS) is 1 3/8" longer and the inner spline is 1/8" thicker than the original I just took off the car. Is this normal or have I been sent the wrong axle? The length of the splines match the old axle but the replacement is longer in the middle shaft. I tried standing both axles on end side-by-side and compressing the expansion joints but the new one is still that much longer.

According to the packing slip the seller made a substitution. I ordered part W0133-1612516 and was shipped part F4BZ 3B436-C (made in China by First Equipment Quality).

This is the first time I've ordered anything off the Internet. Can I use it or should I send it back? Thanks.

p.s. Thanks for the earlier advice on removing the old axle. Since the control arm had been replaced I figured it was easier to remove that than try the lower strut bolts. The whole thing came apart easily and the axle pulled right out when I put my feet against the frame and give it a few tugs while rotating it. Maybe you just have to find the right spot for the split ring to slide out. I read that when putting the new axle in you should line the spit up so it's on top.
    Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

If the new axle is that much longer then I wouldn't try to use is since it will be binding.
    No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

Sounds like you got the axle for the automatic instead of the manual transmission.
      Ian
      Calgary AB, Canada
      93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
      59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

I doubt its an issue of auto vs manual, if that was the case they should still be within a 1/2" or so of the old one. Sounds like the wrong axle all together.
        No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

F4 sounds like a ford part~1994. That could make it off an aspire possibly. However the splines on aspire and festivas manuals are the same. Hm. Send that thing away
          1993 GL 5 speed

It's a MazdaFordnKia thing, and you will understand!

Comment

Originally posted by htchbck View Post
            I doubt its an issue of auto vs manual, if that was the case they should still be within a 1/2" or so of the old one. Sounds like the wrong axle all together.
            manual and auto are 2 different diameters....can not use one for the other. Not sure of the length. I would think it is an Aspire versus Festy axle also.
            "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
            89L Silver EFI auto
            91GL Green Auto DD
            There ain't no rest for the wicked
            until we close our eyes for good.
            I will sleep when I die!
            I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

Working...
            X