Advancing timing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advancing timing

Ok guys I have a '93 GL. I have heard that advancing the timing a little will up the mileage on them. Can anyone explain how to advance the timing or show pictures of how to do it. I checked my Haynes book and all it showed was changing the timing belt. I am getting about 40 and want to bump it up to about 45 or better.
    1993 Festiva GL The Besty Festy

Your Haynes should show you how to advance/retard ignition timing. Want better gas mileage? Get as much pressure as allowed in your tires. Most likely they will wear poorly (more in the center than the edges), but will lower the rolling resistance and you will get better mileage. Also do a full tune up.
    Oscar

Comment

Yeah done both of those things just looking for a little more need to change out the distributor and bug too and see if that helps thats about the last thing that hasn't been done to it.

Comment

Haynes manual, page 5-6, Section 10. Use premium gas if you advance the timing. If you don't have emisisons testing, core out the cat or put in a cat-delete pipe. Your cat might be gradually getting clogged and you don't notice it. If you do have emisisons testing, stick in a new cat.
        Last edited by TominMO; 04-14-2011, 11:54 AM.
        90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
        09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

See I said something about taking out the Cat before and I was told not to touch it by someone else on here. I thought it made sense as well. I'm just seeing several guys that are getting 45+ and I want that. so by advancing the timing a little I'd have to start running premium you say? That would make it not even worth it.

Comment

The best thing you can do for milage is free!

Just don't use the brake or the gas any more than you have to. If you think about it, it'll come to you what I mean.

Comment

I know what you mean I am running it at 60 or under and I am most stop sign running sucker you ever saw to keep that thing rolling.

Comment

Check all brakes & bearings for draging. Especially the rear. The auto adjuster on these cars has a tendincy to cause draging. After you drive get out and actually feel all your rotors and drums. You might be suprised you might not. But if you are milking it and still only getin 40 mph I think you might have a issue. We drove my son's 93 @ 66-70 mph with three people and @ 100 lbs of junk for 200 miles. It was real windy snowing & blowing. Most of time I was @ 65 but I did go up to 75 mph at times.40 miles of this trip was rural back roads with some stop signs as well. Fuel useage was 41 mpg. But I know I have very little driveline friction issue's. PS this was on stock 12" dougnuts.
                But this is when I noticed my kids car was getting an engine surge. I'm like "How can you not feel that"?! And he's like "feel whaaaa"?
                Last edited by nitrofarm; 04-14-2011, 02:33 PM.
                Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
                Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
                Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

Yeah I have jacked her up and checked for dragging and I fixed that issue which helped. Just looking for every little thing I can do to increase it.

Comment

Is your car an automatic? The worst mileage I have ever gotten was 43. In the summer 52-53mpg is the norm for me. Check out ecomodder and gassaver online fo rhints and tips.
                    1986 Comp Prep SVO Mustang(1 of 83) Four cylinder turbo! (Think first Fox body "R" model!)
                    1995 F-150 Extra Cab and it was free!
                    1991 Festiva L, Surf Blue with A/C
                    1995 Jeep Cherokee 2wd 5 speed 4.0 and it was free!
                    1993 Aqua Festiva and it was cheap!
                    1994 Brake Swap and it was cheap!
                    1969 Ford F100 Big Block Ranger and it was free! (coming 2/12)

Comment

Originally posted by Kraig View Post
                      Is your car an automatic? The worst mileage I have ever gotten was 43. In the summer 52-53mpg is the norm for me. Check out ecomodder and gassaver online fo rhints and tips.
                      Holy crap thats some serious mileage Kraig. You def got that thing running good! And a 86 preped SVO? You go boy! Nothing like a efi pinto motor on boost. I loved the SVO's why cant ford do that to a focus? They are so conservitive at times. But I guess thats why they didnt need a bail out.
                      ps I have an 80 Cobra turbo car. But the 4cyl is long gone replaced by a 5.0 roller motor. Victor Jr,C4 w/8" stall,9" w/Detroit locker. You know the drill. Peace-Thomas
                      Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
                      Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
                      Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

Originally posted by crusher773 View Post
                        See I said something about taking out the Cat before and I was told not to touch it by someone else on here. I thought it made sense as well. I'm just seeing several guys that are getting 45+ and I want that. so by advancing the timing a little I'd have to start running premium you say? That would make it not even worth it.
                        If better mileage is your goal, the cat is a restriction, esp. if it's getting old. Removing it is a personal decision, given that it is illegal.

As far as advancing the timing not being worth it if you have to buy premium, I figure that by using premium and filling up twice a month, I am paying an extra $6! I believe (but can't prove) that the extra power will translate to better mileage if driven with MPGs in mind, because you won't have to press the gas pedal as far down to get a given amount or performance. So maybe it pays for itself. And the extra power (5 - 10 HP?) does come in handy sometimes.
                        90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                        09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Any pics of the '80 Cobra? I used to have a turbo '80 coupe......
                          1986 Comp Prep SVO Mustang(1 of 83) Four cylinder turbo! (Think first Fox body "R" model!)
                          1995 F-150 Extra Cab and it was free!
                          1991 Festiva L, Surf Blue with A/C
                          1995 Jeep Cherokee 2wd 5 speed 4.0 and it was free!
                          1993 Aqua Festiva and it was cheap!
                          1994 Brake Swap and it was cheap!
                          1969 Ford F100 Big Block Ranger and it was free! (coming 2/12)

Comment

Its a 5 speed I'm going to switch out the air filter, distributor and rotor this weekend and see what that does for me. I run about 250 miles a week so I put some miles on it. 90% highway though. I might pull that Cat too and see what that does it doesn't bother me at all we have a Chevy malibu that it got clogged on that I pulled.

Comment

Working...
                            X