Loud Ticking Noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loud Ticking Noise

The car has been sitting for a few months now for the most part. I went to start it yesterday and heard this....

Engine Ticking

At first I immediately just thought it was a sticky lifter but it ran for a couple mins while i went to grab the camera and it never went away. The car ran fine just a couple weeks ago. It seemed to be running ok besides the loud ticking.

any help would be appreciated.

that's valve tick for sure. need to change the oil and add some seafoam.
    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Just got back from auto store with oil and stuff. hopefully it will be sounding better soon.

Comment

Let me know if it worked, mine is doing the same. Has run like new, only has 111,000 original miles, hardly broke in for a Festiva. Was my Mom's who passed away last June, and it had been setting a while, but after the first lifter sticking it had quieted and been running like a dream, then suddenly this morning....

Comment

Shaun, sorry i didn't get to watch it last night. I've been getting ready for the meet.

Sounds like lifters as mentioned above. Change the oil and drive it over here. It will stop by the time you get here.

If it doesn't I'll take the lifters out and clean them while your here :thumbup:
          -Greg
          Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
          BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
          Redneck Engineer
          FOTY - '09
          5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

Or at least remove the clock from under your hood.ohsnap
            In love with a MadScientist!:thumbright:
            There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

Littlesilverstreak: Welcome to the best Festiva site on the Net. Might want to go to the user cp and add your location. Someone may be close to you that can help you if you need it. Sorry but wanted to welcome a new member, but not trying to hijack the thread
              Jerry
              Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
              90 L "Peewee" B6D. Bought new May 16,1990
              92 L Thunder BP G5M-R Turbo B6T electronics. Jan 2016 FOTM winner SOLD
              93 L Lightning. BP

Not a user of drugs or alcohol, Just addicted to Festiva's

Comment

Gonna change the oil in a few but I did get the BPT car running. The fan isn't coming on so gonna look at that after the oil change...which one would you rather I drive over?

Comment

Seafoam FTW. I just seafoamed it and then drove it pretty hard for about 2miles and the loud ticking was gone, still ticks a little but that was normal for the most part. I'm sure just driving the piss out of it would have made it go away on it's own but i've never used Seafoam before so wanted to check out it. The car does seem a lot smoother at idle when inside the car then it used to be.

After Seafoam

Thanks for the help!

Comment

.... Replace about 3/4 of a quart of oil with "Lucas Heavy Duty Oil Stabilizer", that should really well lubricate and calm her down. Works well for me and I have many many more miles then you do. Also, you might want to consider adjusting the valves unless there hydraulic. In that case just cleanum up.

Originally posted by The_Collector View Post
                    Seafoam FTW. I just seafoamed it and then drove it pretty hard for about 2miles and the loud ticking was gone, still ticks a little but that was normal for the most part. I'm sure just driving the piss out of it would have made it go away on it's own but i've never used Seafoam before so wanted to check out it. The car does seem a lot smoother at idle when inside the car then it used to be.

After Seafoam

Thanks for the help!
                    A hunch is creativity trying to tell you something.

Comment

Gonna change the oil in a few but I did get the BPT car running. The fan isn't coming on so gonna look at that after the oil change...which one would you rather I drive over?

If you want to make the fan run all the time or "check" it, just unplug the sensor that is in the thermostat housing. If it comes on with the key then it should stay cool.

And I'd rather see this car than your b3, but don't care what you drive as long as you come hang out.

After Seafoam

Thanks for the help!

That's great !! I don't know if I would run it hundreds of miles with seafoam in it. Just my opinion. It really thins the oil. It would be best to change it again, since the seafoam has broken down gunk inside the motor.
                      -Greg
                      BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
                      Redneck Engineer
                      FOTY - '09

Comment

I waited to change the oil till after seafoamed it so I only had to do it once. I got the fan running. I just quickly hooked up a switch i had for stereo equipment to the fan and done in 2mins. Will see if it stays cool enough tomorrow to make the drive. The B3 is leaking some oil, I would say a couple tablespoons at least was on the ground when I parked it so...I would rather drive the bpt if it will make it. I plan on being at your house around 3-3:30 depending on traffic. I'll just take my truck if I have to. Cya Saturday!

Comment

Awesome, we will see you then
                          -Greg
                          Redneck Engineer
                          FOTY - '09

Comment

Working...
                          X