88lx carb issues.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 91_festy_Gl View Post
    Timing on the disty? I tried to adjust the idle with the adjustment screw on the back the the screw thing itself is either bottomed all the way out or its just stuck. Whatever it is has got to be a simple fix. Now I know why I hate anything carbed.
    No I'm saying to loosen up the two 12mm nuts on the backside of the disty and turn it towards the front of the car to advance the timing... worked liek a charm for me.

88 Festy L (The White Thunder)
    91 L came and gone, owned only 2 days

Comment

Originally posted by devon527 View Post
      No I'm saying to loosen up the two 12mm nuts on the backside of the disty and turn it towards the front of the car to advance the timing... worked liek a charm for me.
      Thanks for the suggestion. I did that when I hit it with a timing light. It was a few degrees retarded. Brought the engines point of firing back to TDC so basically I advanced it from where it was to where it should be. Just for reference I done this after the car was at normal operating temp.
      89L build thread http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=36422

1996 subaru impreza AWD 5 speed, EJ18

Post your festiva pics and vids here: www.movingviolationz.com
      My site: 20tessa.sytes.net

Comment

Hello all my first post im having the same problem with mine, I just bought it and am very new to these cars. It hasnt run in four years but I replaced the fuel pump and it will idle with the inside heater fan on but to start I have to pump the pedal a bunch of times. and it runs very rough at idle but smooth at running speeds.
        93 Ford Festiva L new project-dd big plans
        89 Ford Festiva L (snoopy) long gone
        2002 Chevy Venture warner bros edition (wife's car, child hauler)

Comment

I would advance it a little ahead then while its running play with it and get it perfect, that way you know it will start and have a better chance of staying running

Comment

I wish I could get it to idle. If I could then I could get a better timing read. Right now I have my friend holding the throttle right at 1000 rpm just so I can adjust the disty and the ignition timing. I am almost certain that festyboy has hit the nail on the head. After sitting here thinking about it, the car has sat since 2005 and has roughly 197,000 miles on it. If its sat that long with old gas and such them most likely the fuel pump has gotten old and cant pump low pressure to keep the car running at idle. It almost seems like its running out of fuel at idle and when revving it, its getting to much?

Gotta wait to check it tomorrow but ideas do help the mind .
            Last edited by 91_festy_Gl; 04-15-2011, 04:51 PM.

Comment

turning the dizzy counterclockwise (tward the front of the car) is RETARDING the timing. clockwise advances the timing.
              Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
              94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Correct.

Comment

My bad my bad, I was trying to think about it while I was away from the car.

Comment

Did you figure out this issue. was it the fuel pump? I am having the same issue. However, I have the webber carb set up now. Also my exhaust sounds like a helio flying overhead. So I am assuming that I have a exhaust leak, but I dont know how bad that would effect the car running. As for the fuel pump, I replaced that about two years ago. Although it did sit for 8 months while I was in afghanistan. So could it be a combination of both the fuel pump and or the exhaust? Man I wish I could find my haynes manual.
                    Man should eat when he can for Man does not know when his last meal will be.

Comment

I got to go out tomorrow and check the fuel pressure to rule that out. If thats not the problem then its on to more investigating.

Comment

.... Following

A hunch is creativity trying to tell you something.

Comment

Well today I managed to hack the cat out of the exhaust. Hopefully tomorrow I will have all put back together. Then I myself will go from there. Right now I might even replace the fuel pump. I already replaced a lot of parts on this car and spent twice what I paid for the car. No turning back now.

Comment

Well the good news is there is definatley no clog in my exhuast, but there is however, an exhaust leak. It just seems like I cant win with this car. I spend more money on parts for the thing than I do on gas for my truck. I am begining to think it aint worth it anymore.

Comment

Its worth it.You might be at a loss now but once you get it straightened out you will start saving alot of money.

I moved my lx today but havent really had time to mess with it more. In the middle of spring cleaning right now. think im going to go ahead and buy another fuel pump for it that way I know its brand new.
                              Last edited by 91_festy_Gl; 04-17-2011, 11:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 91_festy_Gl View Post
                                Its worth it.You might be at a loss now but once you get it straightened out you will start saving alot of money.
                                Right now I am completely frustrated with it. I havent been able to drive it since I have been back from afghanistan. Since i have been back I dumped to much money into it, plus the wife is tired of it as well. To make things worse my truck needs repairs which I will need another car in order to do since it will be a week project. I dont know, it just seems like when I think I got it figured out it turns out to be something else. Which means another part that is usually about 100 bucks. Just getting to rich for me to keep up with.:-(

Comment

Working...
                                X