Need Help with MPG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Help with MPG

what are all you doing to get your mpg into the 40s?? im at 27-29 on avg with 2 festivas.. its killing me!

^

Originally posted by xjasonx View Post
    what are all you doing to get your mpg into the 40s?? im at 27-29 on avg with 2 festivas.. its killing me!
    Is yours automatic?
    Never Hire a Boy to do a Man's Job!!

Comment

I changed out the coolant temp sensor on mine and it made a bid difference something to look into if your check engine light is on.
      1993 Festiva GL The Besty Festy

Comment

Originally posted by xjasonx View Post
        Need more info. Carbed or EFI, stick or auto, any mods, how you drive, etc. Also, tell us where you live. Might be someone on here that is nearby.
        90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
        09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

I got into the low 40's once with extreme hypermilling, IE turning off the engine down hills and at all other opportunities. A little harder to do though if yours is an auto.
          Buck.
          -1993 Ford Festiva GL, ~200k, B6, Aspire rear, Rio front, 5-speed. '87 Prelude alloys. Happy to be back on the route!!!
          -1999 Toyota Sienna XLE, 346,000
          -1996 Chevrolet K1500 Z71, 350 V8, 198k, hauler

Comment

Originally posted by 200KGPGTP View Post
            I got into the low 40's once with extreme hypermilling, IE turning off the engine down hills and at all other opportunities. A little harder to do though if yours is an auto.
            Low 40s with extreme hypermiling?! That's not very good. I once got 50 MPG in all-city driving with hypermiling. I'm thinking your car has some issues, which when addressed will greatly improve your mileage.
            90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
            09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

I've been driving xaero's "feva tiva" lately and I've been getting mid 40s just driving sensibly. My work commute is one mile and you know that kills it.
              91GL BP/F3A with boost
              13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

Mine 89 manual 4 speed. And I'm getting 36-39 hwy and mine as some issues
                First time owner
                89 L carb'd - white / still needs work
                Bought for mpg and only paid $250

Comment

My best was 54, all stock 92 5 speed. Freeway driving the whole time on a long trip.
                  :cry_smile: RIP. 91 Ford festiva BP swap

1990 Mazda Miata BP swap, 99 trans, 3.9 Torsen rear end, Mazdaspeed6 k04 turbo on 15 psi.

Comment

Originally posted by bhazard View Post
                    I've been driving xaero's "feva tiva" lately and I've been getting mid 40s just driving sensibly. My work commute is one mile and you know that kills it.
                    One mile?!!??! Any particular reason why you drive?
                    1988 Chevy Sprint Turbo 997cc

Comment

bhazard: Have you considered the financial and health benefits of a bicycle? People put them out in the garbage for free. Myself and my cycling acquaintances own several. I currently have 4 for riding, 4 in restoration, and 2 waiting. Not-for-profit community bike shops sell used bikes and parts cheap. I volunteer at 2.
                      Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Originally posted by TominMO View Post
                        Low 40s with extreme hypermiling?! That's not very good. I once got 50 MPG in all-city driving with hypermiling. I'm thinking your car has some issues, which when addressed will greatly improve your mileage.
                        Guess I should've been a little more specific. It was on my paper route which is worse than city, It's house to house to house to mailbox to mailbox to house to house to sidewalk.... etc. Rarely do I get past third. LOL
                        Buck.
                        -1993 Ford Festiva GL, ~200k, B6, Aspire rear, Rio front, 5-speed. '87 Prelude alloys. Happy to be back on the route!!!

Comment

Yeah if I lived a mile from work....... I wouldn't drive. For sure.
                          Buck.

Comment

Originally posted by WmWatt View Post
                            bhazard: Have you considered the financial and health benefits of a bicycle? People put them out in the garbage for free. Myself and my cycling acquaintances own several. I currently have 4 for riding, 4 in restoration, and 2 waiting. Not-for-profit community bike shops sell used bikes and parts cheap. I volunteer at 2.
                            As an Ottawa resident, I would love more information on this via PM.
                            1988 Chevy Sprint Turbo 997cc

Comment

How are you calculating your MPG? Are you using your odometer, or a GPS? I would recommend using a GPS for the trip mileage. It is going to be the most accurate. Fill your tank up all the way, run it down, typically the lower, the more accurate the measurement is going to be. Fill the tank up all the way again and divide the miles driven by the number of gallons it took to fill up. If its still low then look into things like the air filter, correct tire pressure. Do you have A/C? Do you carry around heavy loads? I have an automatic and I average about 35 MPG with mixed driving. Getting into the 40's with an auto is tougher than a manual. But a good running auto should be 33-35 MPG mixed with normal driving.
                              '90 LX

Comment

Working...
                              X