Why is my cooling fan always ON???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is my cooling fan always ON???

All I do is turn on my key and my radiator fan turns on...
    Doesn't matter if the engine has not started in days--- it's just on.

Checked my codes and I have:

ONE LONG Blink

ONE LONG Blink
    SEVEN SHORT Blinks

Thanks!
    1990 Fistiva L PLUS 41.7mpg
    2003 Mitsu Evo Bolt-ons, cams, IX turbo...
    tuned on 93. Real slow car...
    2002 1 ton 4wd 4 door Duramax/ Allison DUALLY... 14.3@92mph.... huh.

There are two sensors on/near the thermostat housing, one is for your temp gauge and the other reads if the thermostat is open or closed and that's the one that controls the fan, if it's disconnected your fan will always be on when the key is turned on

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
    1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
    2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Originally posted by Damkid View Post
      There are two sensors on/near the thermostat housing, one is for your temp gauge and the other reads if the thermostat is open or closed and that's the one that controls the fan, if it's disconnected your fan will always be on when the key is turned on
      Wow.... What an instant ACCURATE diagnosis!!!!
      THE WIRE IS BROKEN!

THANK YOU!
      Last edited by hoof hearted; 04-16-2011, 03:34 PM.

Comment

No prob, post back what you find out, keep in mind if the sensor is hooked up then it could be the sensor itself or the thermostat being stuck open, which if it's stuck open you'll have really crappy heat in the car

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Mine does the same thing because the relay is stuck. Glad you got it fixed...and so simple!
          Last edited by blkfordsedan; 04-16-2011, 03:37 PM.
          Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
          04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
          62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
          Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

Gonna fix it straight away.... I'll let you know....

THANKS AGAIN!

Comment

Not positive, but isn't there a relay that causes the fan to run all the time when the switch is on and the AC is on. (Obviously not the problem in this case, but that could be related.) Had a problem with a 94 Mazda Protege once where the fan was running all the time and it turned out to be an AC related switch or something.)

Comment

A 94' protege could be very different then festiva's, not saying your wrong, just pointing out they could be very different

Comment

Originally posted by Damkid View Post
                  A 94' protege could be very different then festiva's, not saying your wrong, just pointing out they could be very different
                  :arrow: Sorry about that...I am totally wrong on this.
                  Sorry for causing confusing the issue here...I will get my facts straight before shooting of my mouth next time.
                  The Protege has 2 fans. One for the radiator and one for the AC condenser. It's the Protege condenser fan that was running all the time when the switch was on. Festiva has only one fan for both AC condenser and radiator.

Comment

Originally posted by 1990new View Post
                    :arrow: Sorry about that...I am totally wrong on this.
                    Sorry for causing confusing the issue here...I will get my facts straight before shooting of my mouth next time.
                    The Protege has 2 fans. One for the radiator and one for the AC condenser. It's the Protege condenser fan that was running all the time when the switch was on. Festiva has only one fan for both AC condenser and radiator.

Some of the late Festiva's had a seperate small condensor fan located just behind the grill pushing air across the condensor coil. They were on a seperate relay as well. There is a fan relay located just behind the driver's side head light on the inner apron with a blue connection that is related to the cooling fan on the Festiva's. And if they had AC there is an addtional relay in the cluster of 3 just in front of the battery box on the frame rail. So you weren't totally wrong.
                    91 Festiva GL "Scrat"
                    82 Honda Goldwing GL1100i
                    85 BMW 535is "Brunhild"

Comment

Saved from the noose

Originally posted by kartracer46 View Post
                      Some of the late Festiva's had a seperate small condensor fan located just behind the grill pushing air across the condensor coil. They were on a seperate relay as well. There is a fan relay located just behind the driver's side head light on the inner apron with a blue connection that is related to the cooling fan on the Festiva's. And if they had AC there is an addtional relay in the cluster of 3 just in front of the battery box on the frame rail. So you weren't totally wrong.
                      Your are the true expert on Festiva cooling fans.
                      Thanks for saving me from the hangman.

Comment

Well I don't know about expert, but I have worked on a variety of Festiva's. Lately I get to work on them and Aspire's almost daily.
                        91 Festiva GL "Scrat"
                        85 BMW 535is "Brunhild"

Comment

Mine is always on. But the guy I got it from said something about he hardwired it. But I've got crappy heat. And only comes though the feet part. The car has no a/c. Wished I knew why and how he hardwired it.
                          First time owner
                          89 L carb'd - white / still needs work
                          Bought for mpg and only paid $250

Comment

Originally posted by jbuck1975 View Post
                            Mine is always on. But the guy I got it from said something about he hardwired it. But I've got crappy heat. And only comes though the feet part. The car has no a/c. Wished I knew why and how he hardwired it.
                            Define hardwired please, did he just put power to the plug on the fan it self?
                            91 Festiva GL "Scrat"
                            85 BMW 535is "Brunhild"

Comment

I believe he just ran the fan to a power source so when the key is on the fan comes on. I would like to find out how so I can change it back so it works like it should.

Sent from my EVO powered by Sprint using Tapatalk
                              First time owner
                              89 L carb'd - white / still needs work
                              Bought for mpg and only paid $250

Comment

Working...
                              X