how to time a festiva

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to time a festiva

befor you flame me for not searching maybe try searching and see that it does not find a how to .

I cant see the timing notch on the lower pulley because the timing bracket mark sticks out too far covering the pulley.

Find a spot where you can see the crank pulley and look for the notch that is on the outer edge, you may need to rotate the engine to find it. Once you find it mark it with some white paint.

On carbed models you should disconnect the hoses for the vacuum advance and plug them. If you have FI you need to ground the STI terminal, it is a single black female connector in the bunch of connectors next to the brake booster. Then point the timing light at the timing indicator. You should be able to see the notch on the crank pulley now that it is painted white. It looks like the timing indicator covers up the pulley, but enough of it sticks out past it to see the notch. Then if your timing needs adjusted any loosen up the distributor bolts and rotate the distributor. Rotating it towards the front of the car retards the timing, and rotating it towards the firewall advances it.
    '90 LX

Comment

Originally posted by bassman View Post
      befor you flame me for not searching maybe try searching and see that it does not find a how to .

I cant see the timing notch on the lower pulley because the timing bracket mark sticks out too far covering the pulley.
      Ok so you know how to time the engine but you need help with the "Mark" correct?
      Two things could be happening. One the cover is broken or missing hardware?
      Or you don't have the angle of the dangle (timing light) in the right spot. Shoot a good pic showing us a straight down shot of the pointer. There isn't a lot of room to shoot the mark w/light so you have to move around.
      Also on a side note I always clean my pulley of all grease and oil with a rag & Iso. Then I PAINT PEN the marks with White & Yellow. After 20 + years they can get very faded. Just be sure to wipe of excess paint pen from the hash mark area right away so the only part that has the paint is in the groove area of the mark.... Hope this helps. You didn't say if it was Carbed or EFI but it don't really matter. But the Carb pulley only seems to have One mark. Whereas an efi has two. TDC & 12 deg-
      Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
      Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
      Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

Originally posted by wybnrml View Post
        Find a spot where you can see the crank pulley and look for the notch that is on the outer edge, you may need to rotate the engine to find it. Once you find it mark it with some white paint.

On carbed models you should disconnect the hoses for the vacuum advance and plug them. If you have FI you need to ground the STI terminal, it is a single black female connector in the bunch of connectors next to the brake booster. Then point the timing light at the timing indicator. You should be able to see the notch on the crank pulley now that it is painted white. It looks like the timing indicator covers up the pulley, but enough of it sticks out past it to see the notch. Then if your timing needs adjusted any loosen up the distributor bolts and rotate the distributor. Rotating it towards the front of the car retards the timing, and rotating it towards the firewall advances it.
        ^ LOL you posted right before me! I guess I type to slooooowly :glasses2:
        Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
        Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
        Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

thanks, I will paint the mark and maybe try a mirror.

Comment

Your timing cover has probably swelled a bit, that can make it more difficult to see it when it's running. Just ask me how I know.
            91 Festiva GL "Scrat"
            82 Honda Goldwing GL1100i
            85 BMW 535is "Brunhild"

Comment

Working...
            X