Bad Ignition Coil ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad Ignition Coil ?

Seems pretty clear, but thought I'd post to see if I am missing something..

For the first time in the 2 years I've been driving my Festiva, it wouldn't start. I have been meaning to replace my ignition wires, so I figured that might be the culprit since it is a very damp and cold morning. I sprayed the wires with silicone wire dryer, but still no start...

Next I checked to see if I had power to the coil. YES.

Then I figured I'd check for spark, so I had my wife get in the car and turn it over, I saw spark jumping between the power input of the coil, and the coil wire outlet.

Bad coil right????

I went in my stash, and picked out a decent looking coil. I installed that, and ALSO saw the light show of sparks. Although It did start... It will idle, but if you give it gas, it misses bad, and you see the spark jump at the coil...

I assume a new coil would be the fix???

Any thoughts?

Oh..btw this is a 1993 EFI car

Thanks!
    Last edited by michael11; 04-20-2011, 06:53 AM.

Have you checked for moisture in the dist. cap? I once had the same problem on a wet damp day and it was only moisture

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
    1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
    2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Hmmm...no, no I didn't check the cap. Makes sense though, noe that the engine is warm, it seems to be running great.
      A new cap and wires are in order as well though....
      Thanks!

Comment

Claening might be enough. I take the wires off one by one and wipe. Pull back boots and crimp ends a bit tighter. Spray boots with WD-40 so they will slide up wires. Also remove and wipe down cap. Also I got lifetime warranty wires and saved receipt. Can replace any time for free.
        Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

there should be no spark jumping the outlet post of the coil, replace with new.
          Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
          94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

at one time i had two festivas at the same time and both got moisture in the distributer cap

Comment

Well it doesn't help that the top of the cap there is a gap between the cap and the mount. Im gonna try to rig something up to seal it. Maybe liquigasket

Comment

Originally posted by WmWatt View Post
                Claening might be enough. I take the wires off one by one and wipe. Pull back boots and crimp ends a bit tighter. Spray boots with WD-40 so they will slide up wires. Also remove and wipe down cap. Also I got lifetime warranty wires and saved receipt. Can replace any time for free.
                You crimp the ends a bit tighter? I think they need to be expanded to make a better connection because they're the male connector and the distributor is the female connector.

Well, unless you're talking about the spark plug side...

Get new wires if they're under warranty!

As for the gasket... yeah, you need to make sure it's completely splash-proof.
                -Zack
                Blue '93 GL Auto: White 13" 5 Point Wheels, Full LED Conversion, and an 8" Sub

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
                  there should be no spark jumping the outlet post of the coil, replace with new.
                  This doesn't mean the coil is bad, if the spark has no where else to go it will find the path of least resistance to ground, usually the boot on the coil wire at the coil is not sealed well so the spark escapes there.
                  As others have already said, water in the dist cap can cause this, a bad coil wire, cap or rotor as well.
                  Hotrod Forums Directory * D&D Discbrakes 61-67 Econoline Conversions
                  1988 Festy - white 5spd 1.3 * 1992 Festy - red 5spd 1.3 * 1963 Econoline 5 window pu * 1993 Dodge W250 5.9 Cummings * 94 Mustang

Comment

Thanks for the replies. For the last year or so, I had planned on replacing the wires, cap and rotor. I did the plugs last summer...
                    Something tells me that everything will be fine when thats done...

Comment

I too am having this problem. I see a spark jumping to the grounding wire in the coil. And car seems to miIiss at low mph
                      First time owner
                      89 L carb'd - white / still needs work
                      Bought for mpg and only paid $250

Comment

Originally posted by michael11 View Post
                        Thanks for the replies. For the last year or so, I had planned on replacing the wires, cap and rotor. I did the plugs last summer...
                        Something tells me that everything will be fine when thats done...
                        Originally posted by jbuck1975 View Post
                        I too am having this problem. I see a spark jumping to the grounding wire in the coil. And car seems to miIiss at low mph
                        bad wires....replace and you should be fine.
                        "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
                        89L Silver EFI auto
                        91GL Green Auto DD
                        There ain't no rest for the wicked
                        until we close our eyes for good.
                        I will sleep when I die!
                        I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

Working...
                        X