Fumoto Oil Drain Valve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fumoto Oil Drain Valve

Has anyone tried one of these on a Festiva or Aspire?

The powerful shopping cart software for web stores and e-commerce enabled stores is based on PHP5 with SQL database with highly configurable implementation based on templates

and a video at

Introducing the best way to change oil, the Fumoto Oil Drain Valve. By Simply replacing your oil drain plug with this valve, you can drain oil without tools...

For people who plan to run their cars forever and always do their own oil changes, one of these, though not cheap, could, in the long term, be a great saving in mess and time.

I've been using a different system which I bought at Harbor Freight.

It's much cheaper, and it does prevent hot oil burning your hand as you remove the drain plug, but screwing the thing in with its curved hose flopping around can be messy after oil has drained through it. In addition, it has a really slow flow rate. Videos of the Fumoto shows it draining much faster. Finally, When the job is done you have an oily, dripping thing to clean up.

Fumoto offers a model to which a hose can be attached. That allows you to drain the oil directly into something like an old gallon water jug and avoid having to clean up the mess of a drain pan. It is longer and more likely to get caught on something, plus you still have to clean the pan used to catch the oil that leaks when the old oil filter is removed.

Well, what do you guys think? Would this be worth $26 or $27 dollars to you? Or do you have your own patented system which you would be willing to describe to us?

John Gunn
    Coronado, CA
    John Gunn
    Coronado, CA

Improving anything
    Improves everything. Copyright 2011 John Gunn

Really, doesn't that fumotousa unit seem like it might hang down a tad bit low?
    That's the kind of thing you see fitted to a 55 gallon drum my friend!
    97 Aspire w/K03 turbocharged b6 SOHC
    CoolingMist Varicool II Meth injection
    Phantom gripped and cryo'ed 5 speed

Comment

I just change oil normally. Gotta develop fast hands so you don't get hot oil on em

Comment

this sounds to be a good idea in theory, but it would concern me about being too low and something hitting the valve and prematurely draining my oil and leaving me stranded with no oil
        Andrew Walker

Current Daily Driver:
        89 Nissan D21 SE V6 5 speed 4x4
        Projects in the works:
        84 Mercedes Benz 300D(T)(Baby) currently awaiting transmission transplant/ full on restoration

Comment

I work on a bus fleet, so I've seen these things advertised many times. I don't really think they're worth the money. Lets face it, how much effort do you really expend pulling a regular old drain plug? Then attaching a hose first? Forget about it. +1 to the fast hands. I drain scalding hot oil regularly and rarely ever burn myself doing it. A tip: when pulling the plug, pull down and opposite the direction the hole faces. You'll keep your hands cleaner that way. Also, just drop the plug into the drain pan, use a magnet to get it out if it's an open pan.
          91 L 5sp "The Silver Bullet" B6, Brake/Susp Swapped Build Thread
          92 L 5sp "Red" RIP
          95 Grand Prix SE DD
          Wife's Stuff:
          89 L 5sp "Carby Car"
          97 Aspire auto "Pink Panther"
          Build Thread

Spring 2013 IndyStiva:
          http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...eet-April-20th

Comment

I think that thing is awesome...will be getting one myself. One less step in life is worth the cost. At least in my opinion.
            ----------------------------------------------
            93 Festiva L (B8 swap in progress)

Comment

Nitrile gloves...
              91GL BP/F3A with boost
              13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

Definetly would hang too low for my liking.

Comment

magnet

I have a magnetic oil drain plug. I would not want to lose the magnet. I will have to pass on this fancy drain plug.

Comment

i installed these on all of our fleet semi's and its verry nice for sampling the oil for testing! and they are not verry big at all.

88 festiva lx, 2.3 turbo rwd swap in progress
                    1999.5 f-350 4x4 7.3 gtp38r 5" exhaust ect.
                    R.i.p. 1990 Western Star 5964s 3406b 530whp (4.2mpg!)
                    00' western star flat top ex, 600hp 6nz 2250tq, 18918b, 3.55, full lockers, 6" straight pipes
                    03' gt, full termi swap 700+ whp build

sponsered by,
                    pam pam's junk, dayton OR.
                    Bob's ok tires, salem OR.
                    Clausen Truckin', keizer OR.

Comment

I've had one on my srt-4 for 5 years. Not a leak. They are worth it. I don't use the hose or any of that, just the lever piece and it flows out great.

The trick to taking off regular drain plugs on your back is to use one of those telescope probes with a magnet on the end, the ones for when you drop fasteners tha't dont hit the ground...get the plug really lose and unscrew it with that
                      Last edited by getnpsi; 04-20-2011, 01:17 PM.
                      1993 GL 5 speed

It's a MazdaFordnKia thing, and you will understand!

Comment

The one from Harbour Freight, can you remove the hose & just use it without?
                        If it don't fit, use a bigger hammer!

'93 Green L - ' Tiva

Comment

Check the reviews. Apparently the thread size they use is one hardly any cars use? LOL Take your oem drain plug with you and see if the threads match. I know my dodge neon and our mazdas are actually the same strangely enough.

14x 1.5 is what it says. hm be a cheap thing to try
                          Last edited by getnpsi; 04-20-2011, 02:20 PM.
                          1993 GL 5 speed

It's a MazdaFordnKia thing, and you will understand!

Comment

Working...
                          X