Front Wheel Bearings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front Wheel Bearings

I see lots of posts about replacing the front wheel bearings. According to the 1992 Festiva manual, front bearings are to be lubed at 60,000 mile intervals. I know takeing the front apart is a problem and it would seem that if your going to do that much work, replacing the bearings is just another step. Just wondering if anyone has just Lubed the bearings. The Festiva manual doesn't say how this is done. Sonehow just sticking in some grease doesn't seem right. Any thoughts? (if its not broke.....)

i218127

I had to remove my bearing/hub assy's to replace my rotors...

Before removing the 4 bolts that secure the rotor I put a paper towel over the greased bearing then covered that with a spraypaint can plastic cap. It was just the right size and tightly sealed the bearing from the rust and crud when I hit the bolts with the impact.

Carefully removed the paint cap and paper towel then goobered a bunch of new grease into the bearing.

Re-installed the whole mess and tightened until the lock collar could be "locked" in the same spot I unlocked it from...

Simple job---- 20 mins....
    1990 Fistiva L PLUS 41.7mpg
    2003 Mitsu Evo Bolt-ons, cams, IX turbo...
    tuned on 93. Real slow car...
    2002 1 ton 4wd 4 door Duramax/ Allison DUALLY... 14.3@92mph.... huh.

Comment

I your going to this much work of pressing the halfs apart to regrease, spend the extra $$$ and put in new bearings, do you have a bearing packer if not you can do it by hand. Good luck you can do it.
      An idea can turn to dust or magic, depending on the talent that rubs against it.

Comment

If you're going to repack your bearings by hand, stop off at the drug store or the drug department of K-Mart or Wal-Mart and buy a box of surgical gloves. You know - the kind the "doc" puts on when he tells you to bend over. They usually come in a box of about 50 for $6 or $7. Put a pair on and grab a big gob of bearing grease and pinch the bearing between your thumb and fingers so that you force the grease between the rollers. Push from the wide side of the bearing and watch for it to "ooze" out the other side of the bearing. When you see grease coming out the narrow side when you squeeze your fingers together, you know the bearing is full of grease. Those gloves work great for oil changes, too. Put a pair on, due the job, and peel them off to perfectly clean hands.
        You gonna race that thing?
        http://www.sdfcomputers.com/Festivaracing.htm

Comment

Thanks for any and all advise. I have some new "drilled" rotors that I'd like to put on. They're nothing fancy, but they may help.

Frankly, I didn't want to replace the old bearings if I didn't have to. But if dabing in some new grease'll do it, thats good enough. Bought one set of new "Timkens " anyway. The man I got the car from said that he had replaced at least one side. Going to use synthethic grease just as I use on the rears.

Comment

.... I have repacked my Festie bearings so many times-480K I drilled out the spindles and the FLANGES of the nuts so I would NOT have to replace the spindle NUTS. Take a look at this POST #39 with pics, you'll get the idea.

Originally posted by i218127 View Post
            I see lots of posts about replacing the front wheel bearings. According to the 1992 Festiva manual, front bearings are to be lubed at 60,000 mile intervals. I know takeing the front apart is a problem and it would seem that if your going to do that much work, replacing the bearings is just another step. Just wondering if anyone has just Lubed the bearings. The Festiva manual doesn't say how this is done. Sonehow just sticking in some grease doesn't seem right. Any thoughts? (if its not broke.....)

i218127
            Last edited by boydg1; 04-24-2011, 10:00 AM.
            A hunch is creativity trying to tell you something.

Comment

Working...
            X