Lost 5 mpg this last go around

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost 5 mpg this last go around

Some how I lost 5mpg. Went the same route. Same weight in car same speed driving habits same. Ran engine when I got home to look for fuel leaking. Didn't find dripping. But I noticed some wetness around the disrupted. Can I be leaking fuel out of that area?
    First time owner
    89 L carb'd - white / still needs work
    Bought for mpg and only paid $250

Whats a "disrupted"?

A lot depends on the accuracy of your fill ups and the total miles on the tank.
    2 and 3 gallon fill-ups or 100 to 150 miles between fill up will give poor MPG results.
    Weight really only matters for city driving.

Looking over you fuelly data, what was the temperature in your area during the previous tank verses this one.
    Last edited by Pu241; 04-24-2011, 11:04 AM.
    '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
    '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
    '92 Aqua parts Car
    '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
    '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
    Your holy ghost will not save you.
    Your God plutonium will not save you.
    In fact...
    ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

300 miles both fill ups. Highway both. Same temp. Wetness around the distribution cap. Spelling wrong
      First time owner

Comment

Originally posted by jbuck1975 View Post
        Wetness around the distribution cap. Spelling wrong
        Excited engine or the "o" ring seal on the end of the distributor is leaking allowing engine oil to pass.
        '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
        '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
        '92 Aqua parts Car
        '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
        '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
        Your holy ghost will not save you.
        Your God plutonium will not save you.
        In fact...
        ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

What's an "excited engine"?

When my Aspire's distributor o-ring was leaking, the oil came out at the base of the disty where it mates up with the block, not at the base of the cap. So I'm thinking it might not be oil there. Jbuck, is it oil or water or what?
          90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
          09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Not sure what it is. But yeah at the base of it
            First time owner

Comment

Not sure what it is. But yeah at the base of it
              It's most likely the o-ring then. It's an easy replacement job.
              O-ring part #: 72222, at either Carquest or NAPA. Under $2.
              1. Put a mark, with a permanent marker or something, across the disty base and the block, so you can line it up again when re-installing the disty.
              2. Pull the cap, and notice which way the rotor is pointing, again so you can align it the same way when re-installing. I like to look at it from the driver's fender and relate the rotor's direction to the hour hand on a clock.
              3. Undo the disty's electrical connectors. Remove the two 12mm bolts that hold the disty on. Then yank that sucker outta there.
              3.5. Use this opportunity to clean the block, tranny, and disty.
              4. Remove old o-ring, which is most likely very brittle. Install new one.
              5. Put it all back together. Probably a half-hour job, including the cleaning.
              Last edited by TominMO; 04-24-2011, 12:48 PM.
              90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

I didn't even remove the wires, or mark anything for that matter. It would've been pretty hard to put it upside down. Just make sure you don't move the rotor on the head, and don't clean the bolt bus on the dist, the grime is what I used to put it EXACTLY back where it was
                Buck.
                -1993 Ford Festiva GL, ~200k, B6, Aspire rear, Rio front, 5-speed. '87 Prelude alloys. Happy to be back on the route!!!
                -1999 Toyota Sienna XLE, 346,000
                -1996 Chevrolet K1500 Z71, 350 V8, 198k, hauler

Comment

Originally posted by 200KGPGTP View Post
                  I didn't even remove the wires, or mark anything for that matter. It would've been pretty hard to put it upside down. Just make sure you don't move the rotor on the head, and don't clean the bolt bus on the dist, the grime is what I used to put it EXACTLY back where it was
                  And it didn't take me any more than 10 minutes LOL
                  Buck.
                  -1993 Ford Festiva GL, ~200k, B6, Aspire rear, Rio front, 5-speed. '87 Prelude alloys. Happy to be back on the route!!!
                  -1999 Toyota Sienna XLE, 346,000
                  -1996 Chevrolet K1500 Z71, 350 V8, 198k, hauler

Comment

Sure, but faster isn't always better. Ask any woman!

Edit: except nuns.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

[QUOTE=TominMO;411613]Sure, but faster isn't always better. Ask any woman!

Just don't ask an "wet" woman. Ask an "excited" one.
                      Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
                      Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
                      Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

Thinking I need ALL NEW seals and gaskets. How many seals and gaskets are there. How much would they all cost?
                        First time owner

Comment

Thinking I need ALL NEW seals and gaskets. How many seals and gaskets are there. How much would they all cost?
                          First, stick a bottle of seal renewer in with your oil during the next change. That may stop or slow leaks by re-moistening seals that have dried out some. But do the disty seal swap anyway, and the valve cover gasket too if it's obviously leaking, which is a common (and big) leak point. Wash the engine about 100 miles after the oil change, to give the seal conditioner time to work and to be able to check for fresh leaking. Then go from there.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

Uh, I've heard that faster is better for women in the oldest profession.
                            Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Originally posted by WmWatt View Post
                              Uh, I've heard that faster is better for women in the oldest profession.
                              Time = money.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

Working...
                              X