where to find new brake rotor bolts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• where to find new brake rotor bolts?

Could use suggestions on where to find replacements for the bolts which hold the the brake rotors on. Am rebuilding front wheels. Some old bolts were replaced with softer ones whose heads deformed when attempting to extract. Have found sources of the other replacement parts but auto parts stores do not seem to carry replacement bolts.

Also I know bolts sometimes have a raised hardness number on the head, although the original broad head bolts have none. Can anyone suggest what harness to use?

Thanks.
    Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Sinking money into original Festiva brakes is a waste.
    I strongly recommend doing an Aspire swap.

Comment

Take the old bolts with you to compare, and get some from a JY. For hardness, 8.8 or better.

Edit: I agree with Kozak tho, if that's feasible for you.
      90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
      09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Originally posted by WmWatt View Post
        Could use suggestions on where to find replacements for the bolts which hold the the brake rotors on. Am rebuilding front wheels. Some old bolts were replaced with softer ones whose heads deformed when attempting to extract. Have found sources of the other replacement parts but auto parts stores do not seem to carry replacement bolts.

Also I know bolts sometimes have a raised hardness number on the head, although the original broad head bolts have none. Can anyone suggest what harness to use?

Thanks.
        Rockauto.com pn# HW14083 $2.69 eachand its a Dorman which is a good brand.
        Last edited by nitrofarm; 04-24-2011, 02:36 PM.
        Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
        Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
        Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

Originally posted by nitrofarm View Post
          Rockauto.com pn# HW14083 $2.69 eachand its a Dorman which is a good brand.
          I went to Rockauto to look at those. They are mis-labeled as caliper bolts; those are actually the caliper pins that hold the pads in, not the bolts that hold on the rotor itself. And anyway, he was asking about the bolts that hold the rotor on, not the bolts that hold the caliper on.

So back to the JY, or get Aspire brakes.
          Last edited by TominMO; 04-24-2011, 04:35 PM.
          90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
          09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

are you talking about the philip head scews that hold the rotor to the hub? i got them at kia, just ask for the screw from a sephia, they will know what your talking about

Comment

Originally posted by TominMO View Post
              I went to Rockauto to look at those. They are mis-labeled as caliper bolts; those are actually the caliper pins that hold the pads in, not the bolts that hold on the rotor itself. And anyway, he was asking about the bolts that hold the rotor on, not the bolts that hold the caliper on.

So back to the JY, or get Aspire brakes.
              Ahh my bad thanks TominMo

Comment

metric 8.8 is standard grade 5 and a BIG no no for anything brake related. you want a metric 10.2 (standard grade 8) or better.
                Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Hey guys they just appear to be a non graded 10 x 25 fine pitch bolt. Unless the thread pitch is odd? Cant he procure these at a local Hardware/Parts store? They def are NOT hardened. And you don't have to have the short shank on them. They could be threaded all the way to the head. The shank doesn't "locate" the rotor on the hub. Its a loose fit....Jus trying to save him some $ & still be safe.
                  And I agree Festy brakes are a waste of time. But if money is tight. Bolts are cheaper than a brake swap. And sorry for not reading his original post. He did say Rotor to hub. I'm an idiot there's no denying that
                  Oh and if a KIA bolt will fit and is availablelike previously mentioned problem solved !

Comment

nitrofarm is right. The original bolts have a large head with no markings. The following page explains bolt hardness markings.

The bolts are M10 x 1.25 x 25mm.

I found some for 60 cents each at Canadian Tire. They are 8.8 hardness which is more than the originals. They have small head for 70 cents but that is what rounded off when I tried removing them. Three had been substituted by someone working on the wheels before. Two doors up RONA had them for $2.45 each. Best shop around. Today I test bolted a rotor to a hub with them and they are the right size.
                    Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

I had to drill mine out. Never put any back in and didnt have any issues. Its no diffrent then cars that have the rotor come off once the caliper is removed. of course I did the stud conversion. Just saying.
                      89L build thread http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=36422

1996 subaru impreza AWD 5 speed, EJ18

Post your festiva pics and vids here: www.movingviolationz.com
                      My site: 20tessa.sytes.net

Comment

Originally posted by WmWatt View Post
                        nitrofarm is right. The original bolts have a large head with no markings. The following page explains bolt hardness markings.

The bolts are M10 x 1.25 x 25mm.

I found some for 60 cents each at Canadian Tire. They are 8.8 hardness which is more than the originals. They have small head for 70 cents but that is what rounded off when I tried removing them. Three had been substituted by someone working on the wheels before. Two doors up RONA had them for $2.45 each. Best shop around. Today I test bolted a rotor to a hub with them and they are the right size.
                        how did you come to the conclusion that the rotor bolts are less than 8.8 metric? And why would you think that grade 8.8 (SAE grade 5 equivilant) would be OK to use on ANY suspention component?

all brake and suspention fasteners should be 10.2 (grade 8 equivalent) or better, ALWAYS.
                        Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                        94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
                          how did you come to the conclusion that the rotor bolts are less than 8.8 metric? And why would you think that grade 8.8 (SAE grade 5 equivilant) would be OK to use on ANY suspention component?

all brake and suspention fasteners should be 10.2 (grade 8 equivalent) or better, ALWAYS.
                          I stand corrected I just checked the bolt Head closer and your right. They are marked with an 8.

Comment

Working...
                          X