No announcement yet.

Front wheel bearings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Surely just buy a new pair of bearings? I think they cost me somewhere in the $20-40 range here in Australia last year when I bought new ones and we get ripped on everything.

I did the rears a year ago (and had no problems) but only getting around to the fronts now, hope these aren't particularly tricky?
    Last edited by Click_It; 04-27-2011, 03:58 PM.
    200,000KM milestone!

Comment

long time ago i tried to help an old lady change a flat rear tire on an old Plymouth. Almost killed myself trying to loosen the lug nuts in the usual "rightytighty, leftyloosey" way until i tried turning them the opposite direction and they came right off.

Comment

I learned that on a Dodge 880. Finally figured it out when I saw the "L" stamped on the stud ends. Then came the removal of the rear drums..........

Michael
        Have owned 9 so far
        White 89 L converted to LX "The Curmudgeon" Being a Curmudgeon right now.
        Blue 89 L converted to LX "Shtinky" FMS crate engine,cam,flywheel,hail dents
        Smurf Blue 90 LX "Smurffy" He Ran Away From Home!!!!!! Says Willie loves him more than I did!
        Red 88 L converted to LX "Rasta, Mon" Now retired
        Where did all these @#*&%$ Toyotas come from around here?

Comment

Originally posted by denguy View Post
          "rightytighty, leftyloosey"
          Hehe that must be an american coined term. Until recently I'd never heard it before, my american flatmate here says it often
          200,000KM milestone!

Comment

Originally posted by Click_It View Post
            Surely just buy a new pair of bearings? I think they cost me somewhere in the $20-40 range here in Australia last year when I bought new ones and we get ripped on everything.

I did the rears a year ago (and had no problems) but only getting around to the fronts now, hope these aren't particularly tricky?
            front bearings are completely different then rears. They are pressed in and out. You must use the spacer provided or you can kiss your new bearings goodbye.

As to tightening the FRONT bearings....the axle nut does not put pressure on the bearings like it does in the rear. So when you tighten them it just stops...where in the rear...the tighter you make it the more pressure goes on the bearing and locks them up.
            "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
            89L Silver EFI auto
            91GL Green Auto DD
            There ain't no rest for the wicked
            until we close our eyes for good.
            I will sleep when I die!
            I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

Originally posted by GenevaDirt View Post
              front bearings are completely different then rears. They are pressed in and out. You must use the spacer provided or you can kiss your new bearings goodbye.
              I just bought some today (I'm sure I bought some in the past but maybe not since they are nowhere to be seen) - $40 a set so $80 all up. Pretty happy with that considering they selling for $70ea on eBay Australia. I had a good chat with the guy about correctly packing them and the spacers etc, long story short he told me if I haven't done it before or not sure what I'm doing (both in my case) then take them to a brake shop so I'm going to chicken out and let the professionals do this one. Then it's just a matter of putting everything back on with the aspire sway bar and my long awaited aspire swap will finally be complete!

On a side note I think I read somewhere it's a good idea to replace front bearings every 80k? I have almost full service history of my car and looks like the these bearings have been on since day one, 114,000 miles. Nothing was wrong with them but I figured it's a good time to swap them anyway.
              Last edited by Click_It; 05-11-2011, 09:36 PM.
              200,000KM milestone!

Comment

Working...
              X