Head gasket install questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Head gasket install questions

Need to install a new head gasket on my B6 with rear turbo. I talked to Greg first, and have read my 91 Festy shop manual and the Haynes for Festivas too.

Greg said he wasn't sure if the B3 or B6 head bolts were torque-to-yield (meaning one-time use) or could be re-used. The manuals didn't mention this either way, and I expect they would if it were an issue. So I am just checking here in case I should be buying new head bolts.

Also--does anyone know the torque specs for the B6 head bolts? I expect they are the same as the B3, which are 56 - 60 ft/lbs according to both manuals, but don't know for sure.

Thanks!
    90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
    09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Specs are correct, two step tightening, 35-40, then 56-60. The sequence shows different between the turbo and the N/A, might want to take a look at the pic at the bottom showing installation/removal sequence. I'm pretty sure it has to do with it being DOHC vs SOHC, not anything to do with the turbo. I can't remember if yours is a turbo'd B6 SOHC or a true twin cam B6T. At any rate I'd follow the Festiva sequence for SOHC and the one below for DOHC, regardless of aspiration methods. Mitchell's does not mention the need for new head bolts, and they typically do call for them when required. I know I've never used new on the B3/B6/BPs I've worked on. I fact I'll be reusing the old ones tonight when I do the HG on Chuck Good luck!
    Last edited by htchbck; 04-27-2011, 07:05 AM.
    No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

I believe all B series engines DO NOT use TTY (Torque To Yield) bolts so they can be reused, provided they haven't been over torqued.

As far as the head bolt torque spec, I don't have the 323 manual here at work, but can check for you when I get home.
      '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
      '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
      '92 Aqua parts Car
      '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
      '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
      Your holy ghost will not save you.
      Your God plutonium will not save you.
      In fact...
      ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

I highly recommend getting new bolts however it may be a hassle it is well worth preventing troubles down the road. All bolts no matter what stretch over time, in addition keep in mind that those bolts are twenty years old and go through thousands of heat cycles, meaning they get hott while your driving then you park it and they cool down. They are bound to be pretty weak. Replace them to prevent future trouble
        :cry_smile: RIP. 91 Ford festiva BP swap

1990 Mazda Miata BP swap, 99 trans, 3.9 Torsen rear end, Mazdaspeed6 k04 turbo on 15 psi.

Comment

Hello Pu 241, How is the new job going.
          An idea can turn to dust or magic, depending on the talent that rubs against it.

Comment

Originally posted by Pu241 View Post
            I believe all B series engines DO NOT use TTY (Torque To Yield) bolts so they can be reused, provided they haven't been over torqued.

As far as the head bolt torque spec, I don't have the 323 manual here at work, but can check for you when I get home.
            I was under this impression as well. I know that BPs and B6Ts are not TTY IIRC. But definitely keep us posted though.
            1988 Chevy Sprint Turbo 997cc

Comment

6 point bolts are try and 12 aren't ..iirc.
              91GL BP/F3A with boost
              13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

Originally posted by sc72 View Post
                Hello Pu 241, How is the new job going.
                PM sent!
                '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
                '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
                '92 Aqua parts Car
                '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
                '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
                Your holy ghost will not save you.
                Your God plutonium will not save you.
                In fact...
                ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Originally posted by bhazard View Post
                  6 point bolts are try and 12 aren't ..iirc.
                  Good info! And thanks for reminding me I need to make sure I have my 1/2" 12pt 12mm socket for tonight, and if not borrow one from work Thanks!
                  No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

Originally posted by htchbck View Post
                    Specs are correct, two step tightening, 35-40, then 56-60. The sequence shows different between the turbo and the N/A, might want to take a look at the pic at the bottom showing installation/removal sequence. I'm pretty sure it has to do with it being DOHC vs SOHC, not anything to do with the turbo. I can't remember if yours is a turbo'd B6 SOHC or a true twin cam B6T. At any rate I'd follow the Festiva sequence for SOHC and the one below for DOHC, regardless of aspiration methods. Mitchell's does not mention the need for new head bolts, and they typically do call for them when required. I know I've never used new on the B3/B6/BPs I've worked on. I fact I'll be reusing the old ones tonight when I do the HG on Chuck Good luck!
                    Thanks to all. And it's a B6, SOHC, not B6D. Has a rear turbo supplied by Greg.
                    90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Use the festi installation/removal sequence then And ignore the one I posted
                      No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

tom seat the headbolts to 70... and use copperspray on the head gasket like your life depends on it.
                        ebery B series headgasket that i've done has been this way and i have no leaks to show for it, including the Illinois car that i trained out and slapped a gasket on and drove back... still leak free.
                        Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                        94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
                          tom seat the headbolts to 70... and use copperspray on the head gasket like your life depends on it.
                          ebery B series headgasket that i've done has been this way and i have no leaks to show for it, including the Illinois car that i trained out and slapped a gasket on and drove back... still leak free.
                          Are you saying 70 ft/lbs is what the B6 calls for, or that I should go beyond the recommended 60 (of the B3)? Will the used head bolts take 70?

I ordered a Fel-Pro from my local McParts store. Should I copper-coat that one?

Disaster preparedness

Comment

i'm saying to take the bolts to 70 to seat the head (oil the threads and washers before installing and use an accurate torque wrench or borrow one from somewhere). the block will take the extra 10ftlbs without issue, the bolts will likely take close to 200ftlbs before stretching their threads, so no worries there.
                            i use ONLY felpro gaskets and copperspray both sides before install, just mind which side it up. i promise you'll have no issues if you have clean surfaces durring the install process.
                            Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                            94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

i think you should get a miata cometic head gasket metal thin layer and up the bewst!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X