Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This No Fuel Issue KILLLING mE!

Hello All!

My 1990 Fuel Injected Festiva sat for about a year with a nearly empty tank. When I recently went to start it I added a couple gallons of premium and it cranked like a beast -even sputtered initially, but just couldn't get itself to run.

I am able to fire it up, and keep an idle with starter fluid.

I have tested the Plugs for spark, and checked the firing order

I am not getting fuel BELOW (tankside of) the filter.

With a test light I found that the two Yellow and Green Wires at the fuel pump receive power under cranking but there is no power to the connectors with the ignition in the "On" position.

The fuel pump relay DOES NOT click when I turn the ignition to RUN, and DOES NOT click when cranking.

The relay does click if I insert a jumper wire in the Fuel Test Harness, and turn the key to RUN.

But still, fuel does not make it up front with the jumper wire inserted and turned to RUN or START.

Also of note, I have cleaned the terminals to the fusible links and they along with the links are all in good condition. All fuses under the dash are good, and The Big Red BUTTON is down.

I have some confidence in working with this car mechanically, but when it come to electrical and relays, fuses, etc. I am a bit lost and have some trouble making sense of it all.

I am leaning towards replacing the fuel pump but I am confused by the behavior of the relay.

I know there is another element in here that is the VAF but am not sure how to troubleshoot further without just replacing stuff!

Any Input you all have would be appreciated! I have enjoyed lurking the forums here over the last 4 or 5 years!

Thanks Much!

BEn

Check the fuel cutoff switch, in the back on the driver side.

Comment

that will kill power to the pump so you won't have 12v at the pump connector.

have you smacked the tank with a mallet while cranking?
      Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
      94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Couldn't you run a wire from the 12v in the ignition cylinder to the relay with a diode?
        1990 White L-Plus 5-speed rust-machine
        Scrapped

1991 Blue L 5-speed
        daily driver, intermittent project

1993 rustless wonder
        A shell, awaiting suspension, brakes, and B6T

Comment

i was thinking the inertia switch killed the ground not the power...

Comment

Originally posted by Basement_Modder View Post
            Couldn't you run a wire from the 12v in the ignition cylinder to the relay with a diode?
            NO, too much current draw for that switch/wire.
            Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
            94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

plugged fuel sock....filter...or gas is just to nasty/diluted with condensation, that the couple gallons you put in there are not really helping it fire.
              "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
              89L Silver EFI auto
              91GL Green Auto DD
              There ain't no rest for the wicked
              until we close our eyes for good.
              I will sleep when I die!
              I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

Flip the back seat up, pull the cover and sending unit and take a peak to see if you have issues in the tank with the sock or large amounts of condensation.
                91 Festiva GL "Scrat"
                82 Honda Goldwing GL1100i
                85 BMW 535is "Brunhild"

Comment

the only time the pump will run is during cranking or when running.You need air flow to move the flapper in the MAF and dist. rotating to turn on pump. But after setting that long the pump is most likely stuck.

Comment

Originally posted by badmechanic View Post
                    the only time the pump will run is during cranking or when running.You need air flow to move the flapper in the MAF and dist. rotating to turn on pump. But after setting that long the pump is most likely stuck.

I agree, I have seen some nasty looking units after pulling some that have set for years. I have atually seen them rust and sieze up right in the tank.
                    91 Festiva GL "Scrat"
                    82 Honda Goldwing GL1100i
                    85 BMW 535is "Brunhild"

Comment

Originally posted by bburkett View Post
                      Hello All!

With a test light I found that the two Yellow and Green Wires at the fuel pump receive power under cranking but there is no power to the connectors with the ignition in the "On" position.
                      BEn
                      Ben if you are getting power during cranking @ these wires that means everything is normal up to the fuel pump.That meabs your main relay & fuel pump relay are working. Thats the ONLY way you could have power here during cranking. The only thing down path of the pump in that part of the circuit is the enertia switch. Which you said you checked. Sounds like what everyone is saying is true the pump must be gunked up. Its very easy to get at the pump. Go for it ! Also note that you will never have fuel pump noise when the key is just on. You have to be cranking/or engine actually running to get the fuel pump to operate. This is a safety,so if the engine stalls. The pump shuts off.
                      Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
                      Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
                      Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

Originally posted by nitrofarm View Post
                        Ben if you are getting power during cranking @ these wires that means everything is normal up to the fuel pump.That meabs your main relay & fuel pump relay are working. Thats the ONLY way you could have power here during cranking. The only thing down path of the pump in that part of the circuit is the enertia switch. Which you said you checked. Sounds like what everyone is saying is true the pump must be gunked up. Its very easy to get at the pump. Go for it ! Also note that you will never have fuel pump noise when the key is just on. You have to be cranking/or engine actually running to get the fuel pump to operate. This is a safety,so if the engine stalls. The pump shuts off.

I will break down and replace the pump and sock sometime this week then! I will check back and let you all know how it worked out, Thanks for everyone's input!

BEn

Comment

Working...
                        X