Changed plug wires.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changed plug wires.

And now it is running really bad. I havent changed the plugs yet because I wanted to know if they were in the right order. It runs really sluggish and has almost no horsepower. Im going back with my moms car to get a 13/16 socket for the wires.

I put the plugs in and it didnt change anything. I did get a new problem though. The shifter got really loose 2-3 days before and then about an hour after putting the plugs in there was smoke coming from where the shifter meets the floor. The engine is running really rough now too. WTF is going on? It wont even move its going so sluggish

Comment

Year and tranny type?

Could be two unrelated problems that crop up at nearly the same time. Smoke from your shifter area sounds like an exhaust issue, but could also be oil or grease burning off hot parts.

I'd say your shifter looseness is totally unrelated to the engine problems, except for the potentially common factors: age & wear.

Are you sure you replaced all the plug wires in the proper order? Got a manual with the firing order to look at, or another B series engine to compare with?

Karl
      '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
      '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
      '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
      '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
      '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Originally posted by Safety Guy

Are you sure you replaced all the plug wires in the proper order? Got a manual with the firing order to look at, or another B series engine to compare with?

Karl
        .... and remember that the number one cylinder is at the timing gear end. (Please don't ask how I know that!!! ops: )
        Ian
        Calgary AB, Canada
        93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
        59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

from passenger side to tranny side the cylinders are numbered 1234. the fireing order is 1342. if looking at the distributor cap installed roughly 10 oclock is number one, 7 oclock would be number 3....then 4....then 2.............. IRRC
          90 L FI..second B3
          90 L Parts car
          Jay

Comment

Could be a plugged Converter and it is getting real hot like they do when they are restricted, That would cause no power and sluggish, and the smoke is from that gettin hot burnin stuff built up on and around ,smoke creeping up thru the cracks and holes ?
            Just an Idea
            ------------------------------------------------
            The Trigger - Midwest Festiva Inc., Illinois Chapter
            Smart Passion white with H-D interior
            HD2500 Duramax Chevy
            Harley Davidson Ultra classic ..I am in love !!
            Pro Street S-10 http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214968
            Diamond white Deville 27,000 mile cream puff
            Z28 LS1 power 500 +
            90 Festy L daily driver wants to be modded, OK
            It is being modded , a little at a time http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214953

Join me on Facebook !! ;http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...00000295094896

Comment

Do you think the new plugs could have caused that? Like burned up some stuff with the better, more powerful spark and it clogged the cat?

Comment

NO, it is something they just do over time , One of the biggest causes long time ago was leaded gas or leaded fuel additives in a unleaded car, I have never had one go bad ,but I never give anything a chance to plug up :lol:
                Have you found anything yet on your car ?
                ------------------------------------------------
                The Trigger - Midwest Festiva Inc., Illinois Chapter
                Smart Passion white with H-D interior
                HD2500 Duramax Chevy
                Harley Davidson Ultra classic ..I am in love !!
                Pro Street S-10 http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214968
                Diamond white Deville 27,000 mile cream puff
                Z28 LS1 power 500 +
                90 Festy L daily driver wants to be modded, OK
                It is being modded , a little at a time http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214953

Join me on Facebook !! ;http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...00000295094896

Comment

Do you have a multimeter? Just test the wires to make sure they're good. Anything can happen. Also you may of unplugged something.. i've did that a couple times.
                  91 rusty Festiva 260k

Comment

Are you sure that the Dist is tight and you did not change your timing at all while replacing the wires and such?
                    Paul
                    91GL
                    Menomonee Falls, WI

Comment

It went down to the shop for a diagnosis today

Comment

Diagnosis is transmission bushings went bad(which Ford doesnt make anymore) and cap and rotor are all carbon laced with shit

Comment

what are transmission bushings?

and what did they say about the smoke?

Comment

He said it was just burnt oil. And the bushings make it so the shifter pivots to a certain point and not any farther

Comment

SHIFTER BUSHINGS!

"Carbon laced?"

Cap and rotor are two of the early things ya check when it starts running bad.

Karl
                              '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
                              '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
                              '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
                              '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
                              '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Working...
                              X