No announcement yet.

did i just blow my festiva please help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• did i just blow my festiva please help.

1993 festiva L 5 spd. recently changed timing belt and ever since i have been hearing a very slight noise up front that seemed to go away at higher rpms.
    i was driving and the car just died. when i turn it over it turns over very fast but it doesnt catch. once in a while it will catch but then imediatly die. did i blow the motor? break the timing belt possibly? the oil has no water in it and the plugs are all intact. no oil on ground and when it died it acted like it ran out of gas just died no clunks or bangs or anything. any help would be nice.

Sounds like maybe the timing belt tensioner wasn't adjusted properly after replacement. That can cause a noise that doesn't so much go away at higher RPMs but you won't hear it much over the louder noises coming from the engine. If thats the case, the belt may have jumped time or shredded itself. A quick check if the belt broke is take off the oil cap and have someone crank the engine. Is the cam turning? If no, then belt probably broke. If yes, then may have jumped time. The good news is that if either of these two things are the problem, the engine should be good to go once the timing is reset correctly. Post back with your findings please
    No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

I'd check the timing belt, because you say it cranks over very fast, indicating no load/compression being put on starter, ie broken timing belt.
      Besides it free to check and if I'm wrong, one less thing to worry about.
      '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
      '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
      '92 Aqua parts Car
      '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
      '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
      Your holy ghost will not save you.
      Your God plutonium will not save you.
      In fact...
      ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

OK, htchbck, now were even you got me by one minute on this one!
        '92 Aqua parts Car
        '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K

In fact...

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

i will check the belt in a few hours and let you know. thanx for all the help. could a blown head gasket also make a pressure drop so that it would make the motor turn over fast?

Comment

I suppose but it would have to be a catastrophic failure to do that, and probably would include water in oil or vise versa. Unless the engine was running hot before this happened I wouldn't suspect that to be the case. It sounds like a snapped belt possibly (probably?) due to an improperly adjusted tensioner or bad tensioner bearing.
            No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

can the tensioner bearings go bad? causing a lock up? if so wouldnt i have heard a cluck or something? and 1 last thing before i go to the car, could advancing the timing 5 degrees have caused the motor to run hotter and possibly burning a hole in the top of a piston resulting in the quick turning over?

Comment

im a slow typer thanx ill check tensioner 1st

Comment

does anyone have a better manual than a haynes in a pdf format for the 1993 ford festiva L?

Comment

Here ya go.

Post your Festiva or Aspire repair and maintenance issues. - USE THIS FORUM FOR ANY TECHNICAL RELATED POST (IE. How do I change my oil?, How to remove axle from tranny?, etc)

And for burning holes in pistons... possibly... but check that belt first, its the easiest, then go from there. I bought a festiva once with a bad motor, it had a hole in a piston. It made a weird noise turning over, but it didn't turn over extremely fast or anything. It sounds to me like its not getting compression on multiple cylinders (since the cam likely isn't moving and allowing valves to close) and also it will spin faster because its not having to overcome the spring forces on the valves by spinning the cam, if the belt is broken.
                    Last edited by htchbck; 04-28-2011, 01:06 PM.
                    No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

timing belt installation help

are there any special tips or tricks or do's and don'ts that will help me install my timing belt correctly? the last owner didn't install it right so it broke on me. replacing tensioner and spring as well.

Comment

after doing the timing belt on my 92, all i can suggest is to take your time. It took me a few tries to get the cam drive gear lined up right. Mine was also a very tight fit.
                        1990 Festiva L "puddles". 187,000 mi. All stock, B8 coming this fall to a festiva near you

Do not write below this line; for office use only

Comment

while you're in there, replace the cam seal.... and an extra 20min should be set asside to replace the crank seal as well. doing these will save you headaches later. you should also search for the R&R water pump thread where i list all the tools you'll need and the step by step to get at it. there are instructions for timing belt install in there.

Here, forth post down.
                          Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                          94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

wellll....did you figure it out? If you have not looked yet also check that the cam gear is turning properly....not sheared....by the description you say it catches sometimes, which would not happen if the belt is broken.
                            "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
                            89L Silver EFI auto
                            91GL Green Auto DD
                            There ain't no rest for the wicked
                            until we close our eyes for good.
                            I will sleep when I die!
                            I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

Yeah Geneva he figured it out, and then started a new thread, which I then merged with his original post (this thread), so that the cause and fix are contained in the same thread.
                              '92 Aqua parts Car
                              '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K

In fact...

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Working...
                              X