Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hatch and Door replacement issues (wiring).

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hatch and Door replacement issues (wiring).

I recently replaced my 91 Festiva Hatch that did NOT have a wiper or defroster (plain L model) with a hatch that has the defroster (though I wanted both the defroster and the wiper). When pulling the wires from my car and comparing them to those on the hatch I got (salvaged, 88 or 89 L) my car (the 91 w/out defroster) had several wires fewer than the hatch with the defroster. My guess is the car was wired for a plain L model and does not have the required wiring for the defroster. I had read somewhere on festiva.com that all the cars were wired the same and that replacing the hatch and even adding a wiper were simple. However, it would APPEAR that the car is indeed NOT wired for the more "elaborate" hatch. Is it just a matter of doubling up a couple of the wires from the hatch to the fewer wires in the car or is the car simply not wired for a hatch with any extras?

I really would appreciate any input you might have.

As a side note, I also discovered that the wiring that goes into the side doors is apparently for the retracting seatbelt sensor . . . after replacing the driver's side door my seatbelt no longer works! I now have to scavenge the electrical stuff from my old door and hope it all fits into the new door so my seatbelt will work. The other option, I suppose, is to go back to the salvage lot and get the old regular seatbelt from the 88 or 89 car and install it in the 91 festiva. I'm told the bolt holes are all there somewhere. Also I replaced the hood and discovered that the spray hose for the windshield spray is on the opposite side! Took about five seconds to switch the hose to the other side of the hood, so no big deal, just interesting that it was reversed!

Finally, is the "door kit" available through festiva motorsports the interior workings of the door or something else?

the wires for the hatch ARE THERE! KEEP LOOKING!

they are on the passenger side behind both trim pieces, they just stuff them back on the L's

and as for the seat-belt replacement from an 88.........
    you can't do it unless you replace- the headliner, the center seat-belt latches, and other misc. inside pillar trim pieces.

i did the swap on my own Gstiva.

Comment

Working...
    X