Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake Pedal Adjustment

I searched but didn't find anything.
    If I missed, please point me in the right direction.

My brake pedal is sagging or out of adjustment or something because the stop lights stay on unless I lift up on the brake pedal.

I don't know if there is a way to adjust the pedal or if maybe the brake light switch is wearing out.
    ~Austin
    Red 88 L (Ocho)

Check your brake switch, follow the brake pedal back up under the dash.
    Should notice a white plastic box with a spring loaded plunger which will be depressed by the brake pedal arm or and attachment to the arm. Might just be out of alignment or internal spring might be shot. Depress it by hand and see if it returns to its original position.
    '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
    '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
    '92 Aqua parts Car
    '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
    '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
    Your holy ghost will not save you.
    Your God plutonium will not save you.
    In fact...
    ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Check to make sure the rubber stopper isn't gone off the brake pedal assembly. Its what pushes the switch (turning off the light) when the brakes are let off. After twenty years a lot of them crumble and fall out, allowing the switch to stay on all the time. If the stopper is still there, then likely the switch is out of adjustment. Use a 12mm box wrench to loosen the locknut on the switch, and turn the switch clockwise to move it closer to the brake pedal. With the pedal in the up position (push it down a couple of times and let it come up as far as it does on its own) the rubber stopper should be just resting against the hard part of the switch (not the white plastic round part that moves). I'll try to remember to get a pic once it starts getting light outside to show rubber stopper I'm talking about. Its been gone on several cars I've had, including two festivas. You can usually get them from AZ or Advance in the "Help!" section, don't remember their name for them, but just ask someone at the store, they can probably find them.

* disclaimer: all of the above assumes that your brakes are working fine other than the lights staying on.
      No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

Thank you for your replies.
        It's not doing it at the moment anymore, the pedal springs back where it should, but I know where to check now
        ~Austin
        Red 88 L (Ocho)

Comment

Working...
        X