No announcement yet.

91 Alternator into 88... Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your not having to jump start the car are you?
    Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
    Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
    Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

91 alt:
      blk/red- inst cluster
      red- head fuse link
      wht-main fuse link

88 alt:
      blk/red- inst cluster
      blk/wht- eng fuse
      wht- main fuse link

Splice blk/red to blk red, wht to wht, and I'm assuming you would want to try running your red wire to the headlight fuse link-headlight relay circuit.

I put a later model alt on my old farm beater and just twisted the wires together. My fuselinks smoked like yours then stoppped after a wile so i kept jumping dirt piles in it. I would advise not doing the same as I am guessing that you don't want to catch your car on fire. I'll check the wires on that car tonight if I can and let you know exactly what I did.

Comment

I'm confused I have an 89 and this is what it looks like. Its just 3 wires..... Did you cut & splice something? Or is yours completely dif than what I have? Maybe you have the 2 small wires crossed? That prolly would make the Alt over charge & pop the fuesable link. I'm just guessing now. Lets see some good pics of what you have. I'm going to crash now,I work 3rd shift. Hopefully this helps you. I'll check back later.

Comment

I am no help to you folks on your particular hookup, but if you are getting smoke, you would seem to have a hot wire grounded. I would guess you have the field wire and idiot light (sensing) wire swapped.

I wanted to use my small Festy alt for my old MF65 farm tractor since I needed tiny alternator so it would fit where the old 12V generator did and not sticking way out away from the engine. New/rebuilt Festy alternators seem made of gold for some reason by way they are priced, and are special order. So swiped alt off my Festy and put on the tractor. Then used an old GM 10si alternator (63 amp) on the festy. Had to weld a custom adapter mount to get belt aligned. But otherwise hooked the heavy "battery" wire to battery wire terminal on alternator(hot all the time), field wire from field terminal to battery terminal, and had to run new wire to interior and use a marker light for an idiot light. That sensing (idiot) light circuit in Festy harness was bad and I had been having problems with the Festy alternator properly charging though it tested ok on the machine. I have aftermarket Weber carb with water choke so no need for choke wire.

Oh and after doing the Weber swap and getting rid of the rats nest of black tubing and pollution gizmos, I can easily access alternator and oil filter from on top. I hated crawling under Festy to do stuff, now dont have to.

Also a win-win far as Festy alternators being rare. Figured if alternator ever went bad when I was away from home, finding a Festy alternator would be big hassle, at least an overnight stay at a motel while it was finding its way to parts store. Whereas the old GM alternators are a shelf item in EVERY parts store in the country and they are usually cheapest alternator you can buy. I long ago just got to putting a GM alternator on every vehicle I bought, whatever the make, when original failed. Takes some time to make adapter mount and doing wiring the first time, but after that, its just like factory far as replacing it. I just couldnt use one on the tractor as its physically too big for the space available. Tractor isnt used enough for longevity to be a problem, and if alternator fails, its a diesel so will run fine without any alternator/generator, just wont charge the battery.
          Last edited by Banana Bonanza; 05-06-2011, 07:57 AM.

Comment

Devon -The bottom of the "T" is the BLK/RD wire. The other small one goes on the top of the "T". White output to "Main" fuesable link.

Comment

Originally posted by resuwrecked View Post
              91 alt:
              blk/red- inst cluster
              red- head fuse link
              wht-main fuse link

88 alt:
              blk/red- inst cluster
              blk/wht- eng fuse
              wht- main fuse link

Splice blk/red to blk red, wht to wht, and I'm assuming you would want to try running your red wire to the headlight fuse link-headlight relay circuit.

I put a later model alt on my old farm beater and just twisted the wires together. My fuselinks smoked like yours then stoppped after a wile so i kept jumping dirt piles in it. I would advise not doing the same as I am guessing that you don't want to catch your car on fire. I'll check the wires on that car tonight if I can and let you know exactly what I did.
              Originally posted by nitrofarm View Post
              Devon -The bottom of the "T" is the BLK/RD wire. The other small one goes on the top of the "T". White output to "Main" fuesable link.
              Nitrofarm, I know that now. Resuwrecked: That was very helpful! Thanks alot both of you for helping me out on this!

88 Festy L (The White Thunder)
              91 L came and gone, owned only 2 days

Comment

No problem man, glad I could help.

Comment

Working...
                X