Help. Swapped Motor, Has Issues.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help. Swapped Motor, Has Issues.

I swapped the engine, a stock engine in a 93, 5 speed. Got it started ok, but its misbehaving. It runs a little rough, the radiator fan is always on, and the battery light is lit on the IP. Trouble is, Im getting 14.5v at the battery terminals with it running.

Ideas ?

please.

When is is running rough? At idle or everywhere?
    91 Festiva BP Autocross/Track/Rallycross hopeful
    14 C7 Z51

Comment

All the time.

Comment

Could I have plugged the wrong wire in for the temp sensor? There are two that are very similar, and they are very close together. That might explain the fan. I dont know what the other wire is for.

Comment

So is it running rough like it will miss when your accelerating, or sound like a lawn mower? If it is check you spark plugs and wires and make sure they are all properly connected all the way on.

Mine was running like this and it turned out to have water in the spark plug hole. I left it outside over night and I didn't cover then engine so a little rain got in there.

Did you do anything to the vaf screw? Try setting the idle too.
          14 C7 Z51

Comment

vaf screw?

The engine did sit in the garage for 6 months. Also, how would I check to see if I got the plug wires in the right order?

Comment

Originally posted by stainless1911 View Post
              vaf screw?

The engine did sit in the garage for 6 months. Also, how would I check to see if I got the plug wires in the right order?
              When your facing the engine from the front starting on the left side on the engine the cylinders are 1-4. Match those to numbers on the ones on the distributor cap.

The vaf is the metal box in between the throttle body and air filter box. It has a brass screw that adjust a controlled vacuum leak.

If you are going to mess with it take a screwdriver and turn it in all the way but count how many turns it took to go all the way in so, you can reset in back to it's original position in case it has no effect on it. Then turn it out turn by turn and see if it helps the car at all.

To properly connect the spark plugs wires take them out. Blow the hole with compressed air to get any moisture or garbage out. On the spark plug wires take needle nose pliers and pull the connector out to about an inch before coming out. Do the same when connecting the wire to the distributor cap and ignition coil. This way it is assured that you have a good connection.

The easiest and cheapest way to find a problem is to first check that all hoses are connected and do not have holes, this can cause vacuum leaks that may make the car run as you described. And then that check all connectors are connected properly and make sure they are clean and maybe put a little dielectric grease in them. This way you will rule out any of the basic things.

Dang a lot of stuff can go wrong. Regarding the radiator fan. If the plug is not connected it will by default be on all the time. I've never wrenched on a b3 so I don't know if the thermostat housing is the same but if it is there is no way to connect the wires opposite. There is only a slide on flat connector and a slide on ball connector. The ball connector is for the temp. gauge and the other controls when the fan comes on.
              Last edited by Grey Vw; 05-05-2011, 10:45 PM. Reason: More stuff
              14 C7 Z51

Comment

When facing the distributor, how should I check to see the wires are correct?

Comment

Get a manual. It will be very valuable. There is even a free copy of the FSM. Search this site for the link. Good luck!
                  Oscar

Comment

Whats FSM? I tried google for the wiring diagram, didnt get anywhere.

Comment

I searched fsm. got zero matches.

I searched fsm link, got 500

that didnt help, I dont know what you are talking about.

Comment

Probably meant FMS. Festiva Motorsport.
                        1990 White L-Plus 5-speed rust-machine
                        Scrapped

1991 Blue L 5-speed
                        daily driver, intermittent project

1993 rustless wonder
                        A shell, awaiting suspension, brakes, and B6T

Comment

If it's been sitting for six months, maybe the gas is bad....
                          90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                          09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

FSM = Ford Service Manual
                            -Zack
                            Blue '93 GL Auto: White 13" 5 Point Wheels, Full LED Conversion, and an 8" Sub

Comment

The engine was on a stand. I was driving the car all along.

Comment

Working...
                              X