Brake pad install help needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake pad install help needed

Can someone tell me the pad orientation in the caliper? I don't know which side the low pad indicator goes(outer or inner). Also where does those two metal spacers go? Does the four metal plate shims that came with the new pads need to be used I just put on new rotors. I can't look at the other side because I dissasembled it already to get my caliper core. Please help.

the low pad indicator side wouldnt matter cause unless one side of the pad is getting worn out more you probably have a bad caliper. Usually i would put that one on the back side of the rotor. The four metal plate shims are used to reduce noise and vibration during braking. Yes you do need them. They go behind the pads and should fit properly on them. hope this helps.

Comment

yes it helps alot thank you. What about the two metal clips or shims?

Comment

the metal clips goes around the 2 metal studs that go through the pads. There are holes on the studs if you look at it. Those also help with vibration and helps with those studs from coming out while driving. If you lose them like i did you can make one out of paper clips or a wire of some sort. But you need to be able to make it look like the old one. you can buy them but it might be special order and they cost 8-10 bucks. But that includes the 2 pairs of metal studs and new clips. For both sides.

Comment

these are not wire like. They are a thin steel plate about 1/4" wide and a 1" long with sides about an 1/8" like they wrap around something. kinda hard to explain. I can't figure out where these go.

Comment

Those pieces you are refuring to are anti squeak caps.
            An idea can turn to dust or magic, depending on the talent that rubs against it.

Comment

Originally posted by JIMITHING View Post
              Can someone tell me the pad orientation in the caliper? I don't know which side the low pad indicator goes(outer or inner). Also where does those two metal spacers go? Does the four metal plate shims that came with the new pads need to be used I just put on new rotors. I can't look at the other side because I dissasembled it already to get my caliper core. Please help.
              You need to get yourself a Haynes manual. Save a lot of time and questions.
              90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
              09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

those shims slip on to the knuckle tabs and are there to keep the caliper from rocking on the slider bolts (you should see 2 flat spots near the caliper bolt holes behind the rotor).
                Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Working...
                X